cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Express VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all

I am new to the community, i want to ask to join you and benefit and help each other out!

i have a questions regarding editing an Express VI, i know how to do tools --> creat or edit express vi, then the problem is that i can not find the express VI that i am looking to edit, also i can not change the "location" it is always set to the "C" drive, while my .llb and vis that i use are located in the d drive, i tries copying the .llb into the C drive and re did the procedure, i still can not locate the express VI that i am looking for, could you please advise?, thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,029 Views)

What express VI do you want to edit?

What are you trying to change on it?

Are you trying to configure it differently?  Completely rewrite it?  I wouldn't try to mess with the actual code that goes into creating an Express VI.

What you can do is right click on it and pick Open Front Panel.  That will turn it into a regular subVI that you can go in see the code the Express VI generated under the surface, and edit it if you wan to.

What does the C:\ drive vs. D:\ drive have to do with the conversation?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,007 Views)

when i click on it, it says "Set Display Update ()", how do i find out the vi name.vi?

the remote control command does not work for the PXA spectrum analyzer, so that is why i wanted to change the SCPI command, this is a screen capture of the express vi that i wanted to edit

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,000 Views)

Are you sure that is an Express VI?

Express VI's are much larger light blue boxes, or are icons with a light blue border around them if they are set to View as icon.

This picture looks like neither of them.  Have you already converted it to a subVI?

If you double click on this icon in the block diagram, what happens?

Have your read the manual for your spectrum analyzer to see what commands do work?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,996 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Are you sure that is an Express VI?

Express VI's are much larger light blue boxes, or are icons with a light blue border around them if they are set to View as icon.

This picture looks like neither of them.  Have you already converted it to a subVI?

If you double click on this icon in the block diagram, what happens?

Have your read the manual for your spectrum analyzer to see what commands do work?

It is a function in the Rhode Schwartz spectrum analyzer IVI driver

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,991 Views)

yes, i attached a screen capture of the Block Diagram where it shows the sub vi in question, as you can see, here is the blue background behind it.

when i double click the vi it says "unable to view properties"

yes, i know the command for the PXA

i did convert it into a vi, but still could not find the SCPI, i think it might be easier if i was able to edit the express vi, isn't it?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,989 Views)

I would not edit anything from a 3rd party.  You'll forget to mention that change in your documentation and the next developer will never figure out that it doesn't work out of the box. 

Copy it to your project with a new name,. Then edit.

Unable to view properties usually means the configuration vi cannot be found.  R-S might not have included in on purpose. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,983 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author shady1

@shady1 wrote:

yes, i attached a screen capture of the Block Diagram where it shows the sub vi in question, as you can see, here is the blue background behind it.

when i double click the vi it says "unable to view properties"

yes, i know the command for the PXA

i did convert it into a vi, but still could not find the SCPI, i think it might be easier if i was able to edit the express vi, isn't it?

thanks

Okay, this screenshot shows the light blue border.

No, it is never easier to edit the underlying Express VI code that makes all the "magic" of an Express VI. 

Turning the Express VI into a regular subVI an editing that is perfectly reasonable.  But if you are missing something, or don't understand how it works, it won't be easy.

Express VI's are great for making programming easier for non-programmers in that they can do some background configuration within some defined set of variations.  But as soon as you need to do something an Express VI was never designed to do, you'll need to do some real programming to do what you want.  Turning the Express VI into a regular subVI can help get you part of the way there if you're lucky.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,972 Views)

RavensFan, thanks, it is better to create a vi in order to do the programming, it is much harder to try to edit and express VI, thanks for the advise,

Shady

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,927 Views)

hello all,

I am not sure how to start a new issue with the same group in here, but I thought for now I could just reply in here with the issue that I am having,

I keep getting this error with a hex code 0xBFFF0015, that is I think supposed to help me identifying the error in order to understand it and resolve it, could you please help on how to figure out this issue from the obtained code?

thanks

Shady

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,903 Views)