LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Execution properties, Enable automatic error handling

Hi

I am writing real-time code for standalone execution on a cRIO-9074.

If I untick the "Enable automatic error handling" option in VI properties (Execution), what is the consequence if I have an application with no error handling case structures to detect the occurrence of errors elsewhere and within subVI's ? Does the error just go undetected and the application continue regardless? If ticked, could a standalone application hang as there is no user-interface for the error to get reported automatically to? Can I configure the LabVIEW RTE to automatically handle errors in a certain way regardless of individual VI settings of the "Enable automatic error handling" option?

I am a bit confused by the usefulness of "Enable automatic error handling" within RT/FPGA code, and where in the development process it is best enabled then disabled (if necessary).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,453 Views)

If I untick the "Enable automatic error handling" option in VI properties (Execution), what is the consequence if I have an application with no error handling case structures to detect the occurrence of errors elsewhere and within subVI's ? Does the error just go undetected and the application continue regardless?

That's the case: the error is lost (i.e. it's not handled), and the application goes on.

If ticked, could a standalone application hang as there is no user-interface for the error to get reported automatically to?

The property "Enable automatic error handling" is not availabe in the run-time engine, so there's no automatic error handling in a built application,

Can I configure the LabVIEW RTE to automatically handle errors in a certain way regardless of individual VI settings of the "Enable automatic error handling" option?

No, for the reason stated above.

I am a bit confused by the usefulness of "Enable automatic error handling" within RT/FPGA code, and where in the development process it is best enabled then disabled (if necessary).

There's no "Enable automatic error handling" property in Labview RT either.

Regards,

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,448 Views)

So even though I can see the option "Enable automatic error handling", and is by default ticked, I can ignore it when working under RT or FPGA targets? Is that what you mean? If so, why does it even get presented as an option for RT or FPGA VI's in the first place?!

I am trying to determine if there is execution safety in unticking the option before deployment upon cRIO or other embedded stand-alone solutions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,435 Views)