From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable works when built but not after installed

Hi folks, I've been having problems with executables that has stumped me for about a week.  When I build the application, it generates the executable and also generates an installer folder which you can then use to install the executable to other computers.  The application uses the vi server to dynamically launch other vis.  The problem that Im having is that the built application works fine and runs all of the dynamically called vi's, but when I run the installed application, only the top level vi runs.  I've tried replacing the installed vi with the working application, rebuilding, etc but nothing seems to work.  Its almost as if the installer is not accepting the paths of the dynamically called subvi's. 

To sum it up, the executable that's generated from building an application works, but  the executable generated from the installer fails to open any dynamically called vi. Please help. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,350 Views)
Hello,

When you built your installer, did you include all of the dynamically called VIs?  The application builder does not know about dynamically called VIs unless you specifically tell it about them (which of course makes sense, as they are dynamic).  Other potential issues might be the change in behavior of the Current VI's Path constant, or a lack of other dynamically called objects such as dlls or drivers.  Make sure that the dynamically called VIs have been properly installed on your target computer in the desired paths.  If that doesn't solve the problem then make sure that your application has good error handling capabilities (i.e. handles all error wires and eventually passes them to an error handler) so that you can use the error to determine which files are missing or in the wrong location.

Regards,
Ryan K.
Message 2 of 4
(2,336 Views)
if you are calling the vis using relative path (strip path then build path), make sure it is called as it suppose to. put a path to the dynamic vi you are calling on the front panel and see if it is right.

-Joe
Message 3 of 4
(2,328 Views)
Thanks guys, you are both right.  All of the paths in my code were relative except for an opening of a UDL file.  I was able to put dialogs everywhere and was able to find that as the cause.  Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,319 Views)