LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable vs. Vi?

I'm not sure if this is too vague, but basically I have a main application VI that is used to open and close other Vi's (their front panels using references). So when I double click on the VI and run it everything works fine, but when I build the executable with all the necesary VI's, dynamic linking etc...it does not??? This problem just started occuring and I have no idea if its because of some typical problem I don't know about or what? I have not made any changes that should have affected the main VI. Help if you can
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,564 Views)
The most common source of this problem is a failure to track the path differences between a built application and the development environment. As an experiment, put a patch in the code that write the path that it's trying to open to a text file. See if the VI is where the program is looking for it.

This problem can be caused by the way you build your application--not the code itself.

Another problem to check for is with the main VI running in the runtime system, manually open the dynamic vi and make sure it's executable. A variety of things can happen to make a VI that runs fine in the development system suddenly broken at runtime.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,564 Views)
Indeed the description of your problem is vague...
However, a common problem with dynamic VIs in executables is that their front panels are not saved by default by the application builder, generating run-time errors when attempting to open panels. Go in the VIs settings and check for saving FP of each VI that you open dynamically.

If you want that your application open VIs on double-clicks in the Explorer, add the line

RegisterExtensions = True

in the application INI file.

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,564 Views)