From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable not working under XP, .Net FileSystemWatcher

Hi Everyone,

I based my code on the FileSystemWatcher Functions to develop a little application, unfortunately when I build the installer to run it on a non-Labview machine runing XP and wich have the .NetFramework 4.0. The app does not start and provide the following error:" the vi is not executable. the full development version of labview is required to fix the errors"

The application works fine under Windows7 on a non-Labview machine, works obviously fine on a development machine under windows 7 too, but I had no chance making it work on two different XP sp3 non-LabView Machine with .NetFramework 4.0.

After some investigation, removing the .Net references within my VIs, I concluded that for some reason the .Net implementation of this function in LabView is not compatible with some XP components.

Am I right? Or what is the reason?

Do you think there is a workaround?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(2,864 Views)

Hi Olivioloyer.

I checked the FileSystemWatcher class and it does have support for Windows XP, although it needs at least XP SP1 to work correctly. You can check the information here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.filesystemwatcher.aspx

I think the problem might lie in the way you're calling the function. Could you show me the part of your code where you make the .NET call?

Specifically, I think that LabVIEW can't find the .NET assembly when you change the OS to WIndows XP. Here's a link that might help you:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C4EA5ABBEB67AF7C862573F3004D4421?OpenDocument

Do you get a specific error code? You might be able to gain more insight into where is it failing if you try to debug it remotely. Here's a tutorial on how to do it:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8DA679805915DE40862572D5007B2F70?OpenDocument

Aldo H
Ingenieria de Aplicaciones
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(2,845 Views)

HI Alhern,

Thanks for your answer, any call to a .NET function is a fail on the XP machine, you can find my code in the precedent message, by the way I even tried to do a simple VI wwith only a .NET constructor node linked to the ping function, Not Working Either...

Good clue, I am going to check that out about the .Net assembly location, maybe including it in the EXE?

I have no Specific error code just the: "the vi is not executable. the full development version of labview is required to fix the errors" sentence...

Thanks for your help.

Have a great day.

PS: I guess you also speak spanish

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(2,840 Views)

Hi Alhern,

I am trying to use remote debug as you suggested, and I get stuck at the step of refreshing, to find my application on the remote computer, I have disabled completely the firewall and even added the port for NI Service Locator on my development machine...Nothing happens,

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(2,831 Views)

Hi.

Did you re-compile the executable after allowing debugging? Are you sure the executable is running (Maybe the error you described is preventing it from running entirely so we can´t even debug it)? If you can´t get it to work I´d recommend to try a simple executable and try it in the WIndows XP machine.

Also, about the code you added, it was missing some subVI´s and the VI is password-protected, so I couldn´t take a look at the code.

PS: Sí, también hablo Español. Si prefieres podemos continuar la comunicación en Español.

Aldo H
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,825 Views)

Hi Aldo,

It all right in english, I must practice a bit sometimes,

If you mean rebuild yes, and you're right it is not even running I did't thought about that......un poco menso a veces,

I tried runing a simple app on the remote machine and do the remote debug stuff, it does not work, only works when I run the app on my local machine and the remote debug as localhost....anyway if the app does not even run that is not gonna solve it.

Gracias!!!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,821 Views)

Both machines need to be on the same subnet for the remote debugging to work, try pinging the other machine to see if you can actually connect to it.

You should first look into the other possible fix (including the assembly with the executable).

Aldo H
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,816 Views)

HI Aldo,

How do I do that include the assembly in the executable? Rather where do I find the .Net assembly?

Thanks Aldo

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,813 Views)

Hi Olivioloyer.

Did you add the .NET class to the project or are you just calling it with a constructor node? Can you remove the password from your VI (or send it to me via PM) and attach the missing subVI's?

Aldo H
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,788 Views)

Hi Aldo,

I did not add the .Net class to the project as I don't know how to do it, I am just calling it from a constructor node, I removed the password and you'll find enclose a rar file, compression of my project and the sub vis, it has txt extension because NI does not allow rar files, I kept working on it so I added some stuff in the meantime

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,770 Views)