LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable build keeps failing intermittently

Hi, I need some help.

I have been having issues building a specific executable application lately.

In fact it has become very bad. The exe build process completes every time successfully, but then when you double click on the exe to run it, an error message appears and the exe cannot run.

I have attached a screens. Today I have already run the exe build 5 times and still no success. Each time I run it it takes around 10-20 minutes so a lot of wasted time just waiting.

My computer is a 32bit system with 4GB of RAM. I make sure I close all unnecessary programs, to free up as much memory as possible before I set off the exe build process, and I also close labview and re-open it before I run the build process, so free up as much memory as possible.

Do you have any ideas what's causing this?

The Report file is empty. It just contains this --->

"email:
comments:"

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,294 Views)

Wow .. 10-20 mins to compile is huge!

That is a also the type of crash that is really hard to debug.  You should contact NI Support directly about this issue.

Can you provide more info about your application?  I suspect it is large.  What sort of toolkits, modules, does it use?  Do you call DLLs?

Also:  Did this work OK previously?  Did you make a change recently when this problem started ocurring?

http://www.medicollector.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,280 Views)

Hi Teo

This problem has been logged before but we were unable to reproduce the problem. I have to agree with Josborne's questions, the more information we get about your project the more chance we have of finding a way to replicate this and find a solution. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Many thanks 

Dan.H

NIUK

Applications Engineer 

Daniel Harryman MEng
CLA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,262 Views)

Thank you guys,

The application is quite large, yes.

There have been some occasional build fails usually returning no information about the reason for the failure, but a couple of days ago it went bad.

I tried to re-build 7 times. Every single time, the build process appeared to complete successfully, but the exe would throw up that error message.

No changes have been made to the software/computer setup lately. Just a few minor changes to the actual code, mainly in its UI.

The build process and exe worked fine on a 64bit system with the same amount of RAM, so that solved my problem at least temporarily, which was delivering the software to a customer.

I then had to use my imagination to find a solution for the issue on the 32bit system. I tried a few things, but I made a breakthrough only after installing the latest LabVIEW run time engine. The issue is still present but it occurs only occasionally. I assume that the latest run time engine is more robust, and can handle a few extra situations which the older one cannot.

So we know that:

a) The build process fails due to low memory. (4GB installed, but issues start always when more than 2.4GB are used, despite the 1.6GB of free memory! It is strange. I’ve never seen LabVIEW utilising that free memory during a build process. When it reaches a certain threshold, it just gives up and the build process fails.)

and

b) There is some relation between the above, and the specific LabVIEW run-time engine installed, which under certain circumstances can result in corrupt executables, at least on a 32bit system.

I would suggest to anyone who has the same issue to update the LabVIEW run time engine to the latest version before trying anything else.

Thanks

Theo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,248 Views)

Hi Theo

I'm glad you managed to get this to your customer OK. Normally on a 32 bit OS each application is capped to a max of 2GB. This is so that the system has 2GB to use for itself. When you say your system reaches 2.4GB is that for the entire system or just for the LabVIEW process itself? 

Thank you for your comments about the LabVIEW runtime, there might be a bug that's been fixed in the latest version that has allowed you to build your application. Let me know if you need anymore information on this.

Many thanks

Dan.H

NIUK AE 

Daniel Harryman MEng
CLA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,234 Views)

Hi Theo

I'm glad you managed to get this to your customer OK. Normally on a 32 bit OS each application is capped to a max of 2GB. This is so that the system has 2GB to use for itself. When you say your system reaches 2.4GB is that for the entire system or just for the LabVIEW process itself? 

Thank you for your comments about the LabVIEW runtime, there might be a bug that's been fixed in the latest version that has allowed you to build your application. Let me know if you need anymore information on this.

Many thanks

Dan.H

NIUK AE 

Daniel Harryman MEng
CLA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,234 Views)