LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exec application revision

Do I need to rebuilt the application and installer when the hardware has changed.

Details:

I have an application that I am working on for a customer.  The application includes four USB-6001 modules.  I have sent several revisions to him by providing him the Configuration file, the .aliases file, and the application file. It is close to being completed.

The customer wants a 'stripped down' version that only uses one USB-6001 module.  I sent him the new 'stripped down' version and he complained that some of the buttons no longer work.  The problem may be on his end, but I was wondering now that I am only using one USB-6001, do I need to include a different installer?  Is the DAQmx configuration included in the application file or the installer file?

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,882 Views)

I think that really depends on how you wrote your program.  If you locked the number of modules into the way you wrote it, then you will probably need to create a new .exe.

If you knew that the customer was going to vary the number of modules they'd use, then you could have written the VI to only create tasks based on the number of modules they want to use.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,855 Views)

RavensFan,

Thanks for the quick response.  I don't think the customer even knew he was going to have a 'stripped down' application.  I have already sent him the new 'stripped down' application by removing all references to the unused DAQ modules.  

The question is, will the original installer work with the new 'stripped down' application ie. is there any DAQ module configuration in the installation file or is it all in the .exe file?

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,837 Views)

I don't know.  I believe it will because the configuration information gets built into the executable.

There are a few different ways of working with DAQmx.

1.  Build the task and channels within MAX and call them from LabVIEW.

2.  Build the task and channels within the project and cal them from LabVIEW.

3.  Build the task and channels within the VI or executable itself.

I've done #1 and #3, depending on which makes the most sense at the time for my situation.

I've never done #2.  I believe from your description, you are doing #2.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,835 Views)