cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exe won't run on another machine

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have built an executable and the executable runs on my machine great.  When I send it to my customer the exe won't run.  There is no error that pops up or anything that tells me what is going on.

I have built other exe for him no problem but now he is unable to run the exe.  He has the correct run time engine and Daqmx driver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,131 Views)

Does the .exe show up in the task manager?

Is it possible it is running, but the window is off screen?

Can you send him a version to try that has debugging points added to it that would log steps to a text file you can look at later to see how far along the code has progressed?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,110 Views)

He should also check if there is some security software or permission issues blocking execution. Did you create an installer or just an executable.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,105 Views)

The exe does not show up in the taskbar.

I gave him just an exe no installer.  He has the right to runtime and drivers

I had him turn off anti virus and the firewall no luck.

I like the idea of logging points in the program for debug.  Let me do that and report back.

I thought of some security thing he might have.  I have no idea what to check. 

The weird thing is I have given him exe's in the past and have worked.  I don't know what would be causing this issue.

Thanks so much for your help

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,098 Views)

Your post makes it sound like you simply copied a file (the EXE) to the target PC.  Simply copying a file to a PC doesn't cause that file to show up in the Taskbar (or Start Menu).  The purpose of an Installer is ... to "install" an Executable (and, one hopes, arrange things such that links to the Exe are put in the right places).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,068 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Your post makes it sound like you simply copied a file (the EXE) to the target PC.  Simply copying a file to a PC doesn't cause that file to show up in the Taskbar (or Start Menu).  The purpose of an Installer is ... to "install" an Executable (and, one hopes, arrange things such that links to the Exe are put in the right places).

Bob Schor

To be clear, when I ask if it showed up on the task bar, I wasn't talking about an app that is always there because it was pinned there.  I was talking about when it is running, does it show up on the task bar.  Or if it doesn't show there, did it even flash up there for a second.

If it's not on the taskbar, it effectively is not running, or if it flashed and left, it started but then stopped.

If it's on the taskbar, but doesn't seem to be running, then it is running, but something else is going wrong that keeps it from being shown. 

Discerning between these behaviors might give a clue as to what is going on.

I'm going to ask ASTDan if there is anything else about this program that might be a bit different or more advanced than other executables he's created.  Is it possible there is a toolkit that needs to be installed that goes beyond the LV runtime and DAQmx you've already mentioned?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,064 Views)

My customer reported not seeing the exe show in the task bar when he tried to run the exe.  The exe runs on my machine no problem.

I am creating a version on Monday that will log the states of my state machine and see if the program started and if so what state the program was in when it stopped.

I am also on Monday going to try to run the exe on my clean virtual machine.  This will hopefully rule out any dependencies that I missed.

I was also researching this behaviour on microsoft's website and found this

I am having my customer try it and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help.  

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,039 Views)

Ouch!  Modifying the Registry is a good way to fix things, particularly as it often results in a requirement to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows!  If you are going to mess, particularly with a sensitive key, back up the keys first.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,035 Views)

Here is an update on this problem.

I created the version that logs the states.  No log was created.  That means the exe was never started.

I tried the exe on my clean virtual machine and it ran fine.

I am thinking Windows or something is blocking the exe from running.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,007 Views)

I'm going to assume your program looks something like the following:

• Some initialization code, with Error Line out.
  • A While Loop with State Machine code, using the Error Line.
  • Some Finalization code, using the Error Line.
  • Possible parallel loops (like an Event Structure, for example).

Try getting rid of everything except Initialization and Finalization.  Put a Boolean on the FP that you turn on, wait 1 second, then turn off.  Does this Build and Run?

If so, start adding pieces back.  Make the State Machine do only one State.  Keep incrementing until "it becomes obvious".

Bob Schor

P.S. -- just thought of something -- are you an Admin on the Machine you are trying to install and run the EXE?  Could it be a "policy/permissions" thing?  [Can you tell I'm grasping at straws?]

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,989 Views)