LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exe does not get data from shared variable

Greetings,

I have two exe one of which is on a lab PC that publishes network shared variables to a server.  The other simply reads these variables in and plots them however, the one on the server is not getting the data from the PC variables.  I have tried several things including registering the server under shared variables from the lab PC and, distribution manager which shows the data being published and have a good status.  There must be somthing I have missed on the server exe side.  Any ideas of what that may be?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,069 Views)

Is it a networking/firewall issue? Have you tried running the server exe on the same PC to rule that out?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,047 Views)

Yes, infact before I put it on the server ran it as a vi and it worked fine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,033 Views)

It's been a long time since I worked with shared variables in exes. If my memory serves correctly did you include your shared variables in the build?

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,030 Views)

I first tried that but it had issues and when I did some resarch on this forum it was stated that the exe that is serving data to the recieving exe (deployed on the server) should be the only one that will have the variables deployed in the build.  I then re-compiled the exe on the server to not deploy shared variables.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,026 Views)

I'm sorry that this won't be much help, but I had a LabVIEW Real-Time project that used Network Shared Variables very sparingly -- most of the communication between Host and Remote was via Network Streams, and I was only using NSV to monitor RT Performance once/second.  It worked fine in Development mode, didn't work in "Application" mode, and I ended up saying "Who needs this hassle?", and removing this "feature" (duh -- I just realized that if I truly needed it, I could always get the RT side to send it as a Message to the Host, or could add another Network Stream, but I don't really need this functionality now ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,986 Views)

I have done this sucssesfully when I hooked a laptop up to the LAN, however I have checked the firewall and it is not interfering since I had IT remove the firewall temporarily. Could there be somthing in the configuration and setup of the variables that I missed?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,976 Views)