From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Viewer: Class not registered (error -2147221164)

Hello,

I am using the Excel examples shipped with Labview 8.21 to read from an Excel file and this works well. Now I need to do the same but on a PC that does not have Microsoft Office or Excel installed but only the free XLVIEWER (Microsoft Office Excel Viewer). When I try to change the ActiveX class of my reference to feed the 'Automation Open' vi I get the Class not registered (error -2147221164) although I can browse down to the XLVIEWER.exe and select it. Then I thought that maybe XLVIEWER had no ActiveX to communicate with other application; I thus installed a package called excelocx.exe, rebooted the PC but that did not change anything. I am still stuck with the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,840 Views)

Register the dll with os

And you should have the ms office excel installed.

Message Edited by muks on 02-08-2010 11:46 AM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,814 Views)

Hello Muks and thanks for your message.

Maybe I was not clear enough: the idea that we have is to get rid of Excel and to only use Xlviewer.

The procedure that you refer to did not help. And to register the ActiveX we had to log on as an administrator which is the opposite of what was written in the document. Strange...

Thanks

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,787 Views)

Hello,

Can you upload the file you use?

It could just be that XLViewer doesn't support that ActiveX control.

Otherwise you can use OpenOffice to read your excel files.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,732 Views)

Please find attached the VI I am using together with the XLS file that I try to read with Labview on a Pc that does not have MS Excel installed, only the XLVIEWER.

OpenOffice is not supported in our company so cannot be considered as a valid solution.
Thanks,
Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,714 Views)

Hello,

I've installed Microsoft Office Excel Viewer (I assume you're using that) and it seems like there's no support for activeX controls included.

If you really can't use anything else dan XLviewer because of company policy, then i would advise you to contact microsoft and ask them if activeX controls are actually supported.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,670 Views)

Hi,

I read your disscusion about Excel Viewer. I have a question: how to register xlview or which dll have to be register that Read Excel File.vi to work. 

Thanks, in advance

Laurentiu

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,208 Views)