LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples of VIs cannot be found in help

When I attempt to load examples of VIs in the help section, I get an error message that reads:

ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://127.0.0.1:3580/National%20Instruments/LabVIEW/LabVIEW/8.0/OpenVIFromHelp?

The following error was encountered:

• Connection Failed

The system returned:

(111) Connection refused

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is root@amherst.edu.

Generated Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:38:55 GMT by cache.amherst.edu (squid/2.5.STABLE3)

When I attempt to cut and paste this into a browser window, I get the same message.  The firewall is not blocking NI.
Thanks,
Nicolaus
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,091 Views)
Cut\Paste of that address yield a 404 (Page not found) error here
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,076 Views)
Hi Nicolaus,

When I copy/paste in the address you provided, I get the following error:

"The service you specified does not exist."

I believe the error that you are getting is because LabVIEW cannot find examples file that is required (the IP address points to your own computer, the port, and then the file directory pathway).

Inside your LabVIEW folder, I would look for the file called "OpenVIFromHelp?"

Have you tried reinstalling LabVIEW as well?   

Message Edited by Anthony_Wong on 06-28-2006 03:04 PM

Anthony Wong
University of Toronto
Chemistry Department
Message 3 of 6
(3,067 Views)
Thanks!  I know the URL doesn't work when directly pasted into the browser...Anthony, when you said that LABVIEW cannot find examples, what exactly did you mean?  I couldn't find the file called "OpenVIFromHelp?" either...
Also, it seems all the computers on my college's network are having the same problem.  We just installed LabView, so I don't think reinstalling will help since all the computers on the network have this problem.
Do you have any ideas what else I could try?  Thanks,
Nicolaus
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,054 Views)
Hi Nicolaus,

It could be that your computers have a firewall that has been installed and is preventing LabVIEW from accessing the help files as well. However, I am not too familiar with this aspect, as I am still relatively new to LabVIEW.

It might also be that there is a server process that is related with LabVIEW that is prevented from being run (also possibly by a firewall program).  
Anthony Wong
University of Toronto
Chemistry Department
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,040 Views)

I know this is an old post but this problem appears to crop up periodically.

Check that NI Service Locator service and National Instruments PSP Locator service are running.  

This cured the problem for me.  I had turned these services off while hunting down port conflicts with another program.

In order to decide whether a service needs to be running, see the fine detailed description of National Instrument LabVIEW-related services at  the LabVIEW Wiki

http://labviewwiki.org/NI_services

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,661 Views)