LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example on accessing data from an Actor object

@majoris wrote:

Sorry if this wasn't obvious, I just mean that Actors would need to share their message queues (for instance possibly through a message, such as a Reply, or at initialization; whatever is natural for modeling the problem).

In the documentation I've seen they're frequently called Enqueuers (or NQR for short) to avoid ambiguities with regular queues, or called "message queues" (as you did in the above post).

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(495 Views)

Thanks for the follow up. Ok, so lets say that house does not inherit from neighborhood and we can forget about neighborhood. For the sake of the example, lets say that the house calculates its own value based on some metrics, so house has some class private data that it does calculations on. The public data for the house would then be, address, color, value. 

I like where you are going in the last paragraph. I think the part I am getting hung up on is: 

"A Message associated with Realtor would be "Request Color" that inherits from the one in House Actor. "

That may be the missing link I am looking for. I will have to set this up as an example and try it out. Unfortunately I have to put in a few hours of work for now. 

Thanks again 

(491 Views)

Yeah, give it a go. Experience is a great teacher!

You can start with concrete messages (no inheritance) but the real power comes from abstract and loosely coupled messages. A message will typically have the actual "do this thing" wrapper and the "send a message" function. An abstract message has only the "send a message" function, and the "do the thing" wrapper will be part of the child class.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(490 Views)