cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eval Formula Node rounding bug?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi-

anyone else found that the behaviour of int(x) is different (wrong?!) in a parsed formula than in a Formula Node or Expression Node?

It seems to behave like floor(x)... (At first I though it was like intrz(), then I checked negative numbers...)

(LV2021.0.1f2, MacOS)

formulaRounding.png

So, 3 problems:

• Is this a bug- or have I misread the (sparse) documentation for acceptable functions in parsed formulae?
  • Anyone got a workaround in a parsed formula..? -No mod(x,y) of course...!
  • How the hell do you contact Support these days to report bugs..?!

TIA...

~Tom

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(1,185 Views)

Hi Tom,

@tomlawton wrote:

anyone else found that the behaviour of int(x) is different (wrong?!) in a parsed formula than in a Formula Node or Expression Node?

It seems to behave like floor(x)... (At first I though it was like intrz(), then I checked negative numbers...)

Mind to share some examples for "buggy" input values?

For me (LV2016-32bit, Win10) it seems to behave as described in the help with bankers rounding…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(1,179 Views)

Oh- perhaps a Platform issue- I'll check on a PC in a second..

But here's what I see on a Mac:

tomlawton_0-1692349436928.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(1,175 Views)

Oh- nope- PC too:

tomlawton_0-1692349682260.png

(LV21.0.1f2, 32-bit)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(1,171 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tomlawton

Hi Tom,

when you debug your example all the way through those FormulaParsing functions you will see the int(x) is translated into function #22, which is executed as "round towards -inf". (Tested with LV2016-32bit). That is not what is described in the LabVIEW help as "round to nearest"…

IMHO you may contact NI support and ask for clarification or a bug report number!

(In my previous post I just checked the FormulaNode.)

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 5 of 15
(1,151 Views)

Thanks Gerd for digging down to that! (gosh, it's just layer on layer of pure LabVIEW, not quite as nicely wired as I would like, and with scary brittleness, e.g. Function Decomposition.vi; that's not how I'd do that...! Maybe it's for speed...)

Now questions 2 & 3 remain...

Is there a workaround, with just the functions available in a parsed formula?

(for now, since I can, on my own machine I'll just fix Three Register Calculation.VI:

tomlawton_0-1692353515894.png

and replace the Round Towards -Infinity with Round To Nearest... Talk about brittle... 😂

And how does one report bugs these days?! Once upon a time, I'd have contacted my NI rep, who would have passed me on to someone in Support... but those days have gone....

Thanks for your swift replies!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(1,140 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tomlawton

Not a nice solution, but you could add 0.5 to the input value.

Regarding support: ni.com/ask

Message 7 of 15
(1,129 Views)

Hi Tom,

@tomlawton wrote:

(for now, since I can, on my own machine I'll just fix Three Register Calculation.VI:

and replace the Round Towards -Infinity with Round To Nearest... Talk about brittle... 😂

That's the worst "solution" you could implement as your program will behave differently on other computers!

You got a much better workaround from Dan - when you don't need bankers rounding...

Btw.:

Why do you want to use ParseFormula including "int(x)" function?

To replicate the "round nearest with bankers rounding" you need something like this:

In the image you also see a corner case: floats allow for "negative zero" while integers don't know about that…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(1,123 Views)

Thanks! That does indeed get around the problem for now- and however un-nice, better than my local fix in vi.lib... 😂

And thanks for the support link- I'll get it reported. Then when they ever fix it, I'll need to remember to stop adding 0.5... 😆

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(1,107 Views)

I'm fairly sure int(x) in most languages gets the integer part of a number (thus rounding down), same as doing a Modulo 1 (quotient and remainder).

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 10 of 15
(1,085 Views)