LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet/IP devices

Hello, I’m a novice with labview and would benefit greatly with some pointers on how to communicate with Ethernet/IP devices (my particular case  being absolute encoders and inverter drives). I will be using Labview 2019 on a windows 10 pc which will connect directly from it’s Ethernet port, through a network switch then to the drives and encoders using 2 pair Ethernet/ip cable (not standard 4 pair cat5 cable). The devices vendors do supply an EDS file for their products (for relatively easy configuration with typical PLC’s like Rockwell etc) but my limited understanding so far is that Labview doesnt utilise this type of file (??). So how do I communicate and control them.... I am of the understanding that the company I work for have the necessary add-on Ethernet/IP communications package although as yet I don’t understand how this software functions. 

What information within the devices’ ethernet/ip manuals is essential to know for labview to read and write data, and are there any VI examples available to download to give me a fighting chance of controlling these devices? 

Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,809 Views)

Hi udtwmc1

Usually Instrument Manufacturer's will provide instrument Library Functions for the respective devices.

When you don't have such instrument library you can develop the one using the Remote Command sets for the Specific devices which you will be Sending based on the Device IP Address and Port Number.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,757 Views)

Well  since none of the devices you mentioned sound like LXI based instruments, so  you are kind of on your own here... I am guessing the PLC uses MODBUS but it may not...

But in general you probably will want to use VISA like when communicating with any other device. In the past I have set up a VISA alias in MAX that has the devices IP address and ports configured. Then I could use VISA Read and Write.

You first step is going to be reading all the manuals and understanding the communication between the device and your PC. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,734 Views)

Ethernet IP is very easy to use to communicate with PLC. Are you trying to use this to communicate with a PLC HMI unit? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,593 Views)

Thanks for replying.

i was wanting to communicate with several different field devices such as an encoder and a variable speed drive, the device manufacturers offered EDS files (electronic data sheets) but I couldn’t see how labview utilises EDS files like PLC’s do. On further investigation I came to the conclusion (maybe I am wrong) that while labview can indeed communicate using Ethernet/IP, it can only do so in limited configurations, sadly not in the “implicit master scanner mode” which is what my field devices required.

in the end I chose modbusTCP devices and successfully used the modbusTCP library to communicate with them 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,580 Views)

Hi !
I have pretty much the same problem as you, but with a Festo bus node...

How did you use the modbus API in the end ? did you use the EDS file one way or another ?

If it's not too much to ask, do you think you could share your code with me ? if not, just tell me what you did with that EDS file in the end...

Thanks a lot !

Manon

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,303 Views)

Hi

We have programmed a LabVIEW driver, that allows you to use your LabVIEW application as an EtherNET/IP scanner. You do not need any PLC.

You can download the driver, which also includes a hardware configuration tool here.

You only need the EDS file for your device.

If any assistance is needed, you can contact us directly here.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,203 Views)

@a.wais wrote:

Hi

We have programmed a LabVIEW driver, that allows you to use your LabVIEW application as an EtherNET/IP scanner. You do not need any PLC.

You can download the driver, which also includes a hardware configuration tool here.

You may want to check that homepage of yours! While the link to the NI Tools Network entry on that page works, the link to your own download page is inactive.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,192 Views)

Here is another Link to our EtherNET/IP driver to the National Instruments LV-Tools-Network. I hope this works.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,153 Views)

Does this driver work as an ethernet IP scanner for implicit communications?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,446 Views)