From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error updating database entry with text longer than 255 characters

Solved!
Go to solution

Rocking LV2012 with an MS Access 2000 database that was created and setup in another environment.  Trying to access it and manipulate the data using a LV GUI because the one they built for us sucks.

Some of the columns are of "Memo" type and LV reports the column information for these columns with a defined size of 1073741823.  The problem is that if I try to update the data in these columns with the DB Tools Update Data.vi and the string is > 255 or so characters long I get:

ERROR -2147217887

Possible reason(s):
ADO Error: 0x80040E21
Exception occured in Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Invalid precision value  in NI_Database_API.lvlib:Rec Create - Command.vi->NI_Database_API.lvlib:Cmd Execute.vi->NI_Database_API.lvlib:DB Tools Update Data.vi->Update DB.vi->GTS.vi

I realize that 255 is the limit for some applications.  Is there some setup that I need to do to have the limit set by the data source and not by whatever provider is limiting the data length?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,589 Views)
Don't use the ODBC drivers. What does your connection string look like?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,551 Views)

Never used 'em.  I have a data source set up that points to the database (.mdb) file.  Is there a resource I can use to craft a string for connection?  All I've found is stuff for .udl files, which I have had trouble with due to the 32/64-bit install on my machine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,544 Views)
You are using connection strings! Change the file extension of your UDL to TXT and open it.

http://www.connectionstrings.com

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,542 Views)

Sure, yeah.  But I'm not using .udl files that I know of.  I have set up a User DSN in 32-bit ODBC Data Source Administrator.  Does that generate a connection string that I can view somewhere?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,538 Views)

The DSN file that I am using contains the following:

[ODBC]
DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
UID=admin
UserCommitSync=Yes
Threads=3
SafeTransactions=0
PageTimeout=5
MaxScanRows=8
MaxBufferSize=2048
FIL=MS Access
DriverId=25
DefaultDir=C:\Users\marlowd\Desktop
DBQ=C:\Users\marlowd\Desktop\CommonChassis.mdb

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,531 Views)

Have also tried setting up UDL unsuccessfully using KnowledgeBase 2KFB4NOU.  The resultant connection string is:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Users\marlowd\Desktop\CommonChassis.mdb;Persist Security Info=False

Since I have a 32-bit install of LV on a 64-bit Windows OS, I had to do the fancy backdoor into the UDL setup.  I end up with an ADO error 0x80004005 for all connection attempts that aren't a DSN connection....but that DSN connection limits my strings apparently.

Message 7 of 13
(4,527 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author thisisnotadream
That should work. It looks like you are using the database connectivity toolkit. That could also be a problem. Check here for alternative drivers.

http://www.notatamelion.com/2015/01/05/managing-data-the-easy-way/

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

Message 8 of 13
(4,512 Views)

Mike,

If I recall correctly, the Datbase Connectivity toolkit is built on the exact same methods as the one on your blog, just with a little more data validation and a some non-viewable core VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,509 Views)
Yes, but the "data validation" and non-viewable VIs are where the problems arise.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,503 Views)