LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error running executable distribution build in 8.6

I am having difficulties properly opening a distribution exe once built.  When I try to open the exe file, a dialog says: "Loading <vilib>:Utility\error.llb\Not Found Dialog.vi"  It then asks me to locate the file.  This then repeats for a variety of different subVIs of my program.  

All of these subVIs are listed as dependencies in my project, and when I build the executible it does not return any errors, just when I try to run the exe.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling LabVIEW, but this did not solve the problem.  My program runs fine from within labview, this error only occurs when I am trying to run a distributed exe.

Anyone have any ideas? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,483 Views)

Did you make an installer? How did you build the executable (what did you include)?

Message Edited by Cory K on 03-05-2009 12:39 PM
Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,481 Views)

I did not make an installer,  just an executible.  I already have the 8.6 runtime engine on the distribution laptop.  I also have this problem when I try to run the executible on my development laptop that has the full labview suite on it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,477 Views)

Hello,

Do you face this problem with any executable that you create? Have you tried creating a project with new VIs and then building an application? Also, what are the other VIs that show up as missing?

To deal with the error you mentioned, you could try adding the 'Not Found Dialog.vi' to your project directory. You can find this at Program Files\Naitonal Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\vi.lib\Utility and then in 'error.llb'. Then, you can create a new application and try running the executable.

I hope this helps.

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,438 Views)

I have The same problem, I can locate the missing vi's and that will make the executable run.

But every time I reopen the executable it asks again for the same vi's

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,415 Views)

I am heaving the same problem and I need a solution. Very urgent!

Yuval

Message Edited by yuval_yohai on 03-11-2009 03:42 PM
Message Edited by yuval_yohai on 03-11-2009 03:47 PM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,398 Views)

Alright, it is now working for me. I believe the problem that I was having was due to the general error handler vi.  I had customized the "Write to Spreadsheet" vi which has a built in error handler.  When I replaced this customized VI with the normal polymorphic Write to Spreadsheet VI,  I stopped having the problem of locating files after the build.  This might not be the solution for other instances of this happening, but it fixed the problem in my case. I still do not understand why it was not working with the customized version since the VI would run fine on my deveopment machine but not when built, but at least it is working now.

Dan 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,375 Views)

Yes very strange,

It is seems as if the behavior is not constant.

On my computer after playing around with the builder properties it suddenly started to work OK. And now I can't make it happen again even if I start a whole new project.

On the other hand, on my second computer, the problem was persistent. I could solve it by adding manually into the project three files that it was searching for, all reside in the \utility\error.llb directory and they are:

Not Found Dialog.vi

Details Display Dialog.vi

Set String Value.vi

Once they were added the executable was working OK. Starting a new project would make the same problem.

As a test case I made a new project with only one vi. Inside it only one sub vi: Simple Error Handler.vi and an error constant attached to it. This configuration is enough to debug the problem.

Any news from NI?

Yuval

Message Edited by yuval_yohai on 03-12-2009 08:20 AM
Message 8 of 11
(4,367 Views)
I am having the same symptoms as yuval. A VI containing the simple error handler works fin the the development environment but not in a build on my laptop (the same 3 files are not found). I loaded the project on a 2nd machine with labview 8.6 and it did not show this behaviour. Does anyone know if this issue is resolved by upgrading to LV8.6.1?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,292 Views)

Hi all,

just follow these instruction:

CTRL + SHIFT + RUN on top level vi and everything goes well.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7324#136989_by_Category

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C1C6FE6231966E278625661F0054A970?OpenDocument

Paolo

The world is composed by 10 types of persons:
the ones who understand the binary system, the ones who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,922 Views)