LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Wiring Style

I and I'm sure many others have the habit of running the error wire as seen below. Note the style how the error always heads directly downwards from VI's and is aligned horizontally to some common level.

error wiring snippet.png

The default automatic wiring (e.g. when you use Remove and Rewire, which I for one use a lot), however, doesn't follow this style. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a major inconvenience but it does add to the manual cleaning up.

Is there any way to configure the LabVIEW default/automatic wiring style to use this pattern?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,816 Views)

Hmm, I am not aware of any special settings to change the default wiring style. But using your style you lose valuable BD space. What is wrong with this, this is how I would do it:

ydsfgdvgd.png

or this:

rrrttt.png

Edit: sorry, I used the wrong VI with the string input, a bit different connector pane location, anyway, then this:

ttttttttttt.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,800 Views)

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just not the style I prefer. This is obviously subjective but I see my preferred style as more organized and readable, and I value those greatly more that compactness.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,782 Views)

@vekkuli wrote:

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just not the style I prefer. This is obviously subjective but I see my preferred style as more organized and readable, and I value those greatly more that compactness.

That is not the only problem. You error wires do not follow the natural way in and out. So they do not reflect the standard connector pane pattern. Besides, your error wires use up some bottom connector panes locations. What about if you have a vi with inputs/outputs connected at those locations? Using your style, your error wires would overlap those spaces...

edit: a solution could be for you, to connect the error wires to the bottom connectors ...

edit 2: but of course this will not help with the built in functions, where you cannot (or should not) change the connector pane...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,773 Views)

You are not wrong. Using the style does set certain constraints. For me, however, the limitations have zero effect in practical terms—I don't really use other connector pane patterns. Besides, standard VI's seem to follow the same "error terminals at bottom corners" convention as well.

A thought came to my mind when you brought up the natural way in and out. I wonder if that exactly is what causes LabVIEW to lead the wires left and right respectively. I.e. there's a default direction attribute to each terminal. Now I wonder whether there's a way to manipulate that...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,766 Views)

Blokk wrote:

That is not the only problem. You error wires do not follow the natural way in and out. So they do not reflect the standard connector pane pattern. Besides, your error wires use up some bottom connector panes locations. What about if you have a vi with inputs/outputs connected at those locations? Using your style, your error wires would overlap those spaces...

The "corner" connections are "ambiguous" as to whether they are left-right or top-bottom connectors.  It seems (to me) that the "real" connector point is smack dab in the middle of the little square (you can figure out where the connection is "anchored" by moving the input up and down with the arrow keys until the wire "unkinks" and is straight -- see below).  So the corners are both side and top/bottom connectors, and there is no overlap ...

Connector Patterns.png

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I prefer the "straight Error Line" style, myself.  When I need to "hop" a wire over a function or VI, I'm more likely to keep the Error Line straight and kink the wire than use "vertical" error lines ...

Message 6 of 6
(3,748 Views)