LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Downloading LabVIEW Community Software

I am unable to access LabVIEW Community. After downloading the LabVIEW Community software from the NI site, an application called "VI Package Manager" appears on my desktop. When I open this application, I am not able to run VI files from LabVIEW, in the top right corner it says "Launch VIPM file". I have tried uninstalling all software and then reinstalling the software multiple times with no success. Any suggestions for next steps? 

Thanks, 

Nic 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,282 Views)

Hi Nic,

@Nic.Rivait wrote:

I am unable to access LabVIEW Community. After downloading the LabVIEW Community software from the NI site, an application called "VI Package Manager" appears on my desktop. When I open this application, I am not able to run VI files from LabVIEW, in the top right corner it says "Launch VIPM file". I have tried uninstalling all software and then reinstalling the software multiple times with no success. Any suggestions for next steps? 

VIPM is used to install all other NI software, including LabVIEW (Community and other editions)…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,279 Views)

@Nic.Rivait wrote:

Thanks, 

Nic 

You need to open LabVIEW files with LabVIEW.  (If LabVIEW is installed properly, all the LabVIEW files should be associated with LabVIEW such that you can double-click them to open them.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,257 Views)

Glad you chose to install LabVIEW Community Edition.  We're here to help!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,253 Views)

So you're clear - "VI Package Manager" is not the same as "NI Package Manager".

The first is an application to help manage LabVIEW development environment dependencies (eg. like NuGet for .NET, or npm for JS). It is a stand-alone product written by another vendor (JKI). 

The second is an application that allows you to manage installation of NI products on your development system. Assuming you meant the this in your original post, you then need to run this application and specify what development environments you want to install (LabVIEW is one of several NI products in this camp). 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,245 Views)

So you apparently installed LabVIEW community edition just fine. It should be in your start menu with a yellow icon. Try to find it.

Did you finish the installation and rebooted the computer (in case it asked for it)?

(as an additional bonus, the installer also installed a few other helper programs, one of them is VI package manager (VIPM), which is not directly a NI product, and has the annoying tendency to place a shortcut on the desktop. You can delete that shortcut if it bothers you. You definitely want that program, but you probably don't want that shortcut plastered on the desktop. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,234 Views)