From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 8 when creating a DLL library in System32 folder (Windows 10 and 8)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to create a DLL library inside the system32 folder from a series of .vi files. The build fails, yielding an Error 8 message. However, it succeeds if I select a different destination folder (e.g. C:\).

Please note that this used to work in Windows XP and Windows 7 but it fails on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

I would appreciate any help.

I am quite sure that the administrative privileges are sorted, and I also tried the suggestions on the NI website to no effect.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,362 Views)

Did you launch LabVIEW as admin?

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,343 Views)

Yes, I did.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,333 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author edu11

The plot thickens: when I use a 32-bit version of LabVIEW, the build succeeds but the libraries are automatically placed inside the SysWOW64 folder, not in the System32 folder (despite the fact that System32 is set as the destination folder). However, when I use the 64-bit version of LabVIEW, I get error 8.

In the 64-bit version of LabVIEW, if I now set SysWOW64 as the destination folder, the build succeeds.

So, then it must have something to do with how Windows stores 32-bit and 64-bit DLL libraries. Windows refuses to store a 32-bit DLL library in System32, and this manifests itself as Error 8.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,322 Views)

Ya. confusion isn't it?

System32 is for 64-bit applications; while SysWOW64 is for 32-bit application running on 64-bit OS.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,316 Views)