LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 8 moving files to Linux CompactRIO

Our team has been working with cRIO for a long time. About a week ago we started having difficulty editing files on cRIO. We access it as network device (under \\172.16.23.xxx\files), from Windows Explorer, Total Commander and LabVIEW. We also use mounting the network device locally (creating z:\).

The error in Explorer says "Remove write protection" (not exactly, we're using different language). Notepad++ says "Cannot be saved. Error is probably caused by hardware or network fail." LabVIEW throws error 8 (permission error).

Happens when trying to edit/move/rewrite files (we can create, rename and delete files, we can save empty file but not file with content).

When rewriting files, result is error and emptied file as it probably deletes old one, creates new one and fails writing the contents.

Happens with multiple cRIOs.

Happens with multiple computers

I am not sure if it happened with LabVIEW 2018 (I recently upgraded to 2019, was the last of our team), but I think it did

Colleagues have 2019 and it occurred suddenly, no upgrades.

What now? Could a wild windows update be the reason? Happened to anyone else?

Thanks, Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,457 Views)

Hi Thomas444,

Are you totally sure that earlier you were able to write files? Maybe something has changed like file location or user? I have never experienced an issue like this but I have done some digging into NI Linux Real-Time OS Security documentation and I found several references to the particular user's privileges on the cRIO. As you can see default users among the system have different folder's write permissions. At the beginning, I would suggest using different workspaces on the controller.

priv.PNG

Full document here:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/support/us/ni_linux_real-time_security_user_guide.pdf

I might be wrong but I hope this might speed-up the troubleshooting. 

Kind regards,

Kamil

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,383 Views)

The problem persisted for about two months and it solved itself - one day, probably after windows update, I could write files to cRIO again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,264 Views)