From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 54 Unplugged Cable

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a quad port NI PCIe-8235 that I'm using for UDP communication. We have the UUT which has 4 UDP ports and can enable/disable them on command. Ideally, I want to open a UDP connection and wait for any incomming traffic. Instead, some of the cards receive a Error 54.

After a lot of experimentation, I've noticed that if the card has been plugged in at any point, I don't get this error.

If I disable, then enable the network card while unplugged, I receive the error again.

If I plug the cable in, and unplug it, I don't receive the error on any UDP opens.

Normally, I would loop until I don't receive the error. However, this error also appear to detect wrong IP addresses, which I would consider a valid error.

My assumptions are:

I'm missing something blatantly stupid

or

These cards can get into a state that windows either forgets they're there, or doesn't allow connections. Hopefully I can circumvent.

or

Not allowing a connection is valid, and plugging/unplugging the cable tricks windows. Allowing me to cheat.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,574 Views)

Well, I've verified that this happens on another network card (Realtek) and another machine (Win7).

I'm starting to think this had to do with how windows handles network cards.

Josh
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,536 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JW-JnJ

It might also depend on whether you're set for DHCP or not; you might be losing the IP address because of that. But yeah, it sounds like more of a Windows+ethernet cards behavior.

Ravi A.
National Instruments | Applications Engineer
Message 3 of 4
(2,528 Views)

I gave up on delving into windows behavior and just started looping until no error occured on UDP open.

Thanks for the help.

Josh
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,507 Views)