LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 42 with App:Menu Launch:App property

I am looking for suggestions on what might be the root cause for error 42 from the Application property Application:Menu Launch:Application when used in a subVI in a VI launched from a LabVIEW menu.  The subVI is an NI VI: ..\vi.lib\VIServer\Menu Launch VI Information.vi

Menu Launch VI Information.viMenu Launch VI Information.vi

The source text is "Property Node (arg 1) in Menu Launch VI Information.vi", but it doesn't seem obvious to me why the App:Menu Launch:App reference would throw an error?  And, the error text provides little assistance on identifying the cause.

I first encountered this error with a VI developed for use in the Tools menu, then as a test moved it to the File menu where I had success with the VI once before the error started.

LabVIEW 16.0f2

Regards,

James

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,735 Views)

Hi James@Work,

I am having a hard time recreating the error you are seeing on my end. Can you attach a snippet or the smallest bit of code that recreates this error so we can see the whole of your code architecture? 

Thanks!

Erika
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,704 Views)

Erika,

That subVI is the first VI to run when the VI that is launched, nothing else in the VI matters or works due to that error. I'll repost the question and source on our community page, just thought I'd post first here to see if this error had been seen before by any tools developers.

Error snipette.png

Thanks and regards,

James

LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,693 Views)

Perhaps you are already doing this, but I just followed the instructions in this article and it worked just fine in the tools menu. 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Error-42-with-App-Menu-Launch-App-property/td-p/3670424?lang=en

Is this VI the first thing executed in your menu VI as the help suggests that it must be?

Note, I am in LabVIEW 2015, so I guess that could be making a difference.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,691 Views)

Update: I just tried the same VI on LV2013 computer and it worked without error. 

This must be a LV2016 issue or something wrong with my LV installation?  Hmmm? Everything else seems to be working fine with this installation?

Yes Shane, I know the article you mentioned and yes it's the 1st VI, only one I didn't blur.

Thanks,

James

James

LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,682 Views)