LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1101 - Cannot communicate with Experion OPC Server

Hello,

I am having an issue whereby I cannot Read/Write to an Experion OPC Server through Labview and Datasocket, and get Error 1101.

The Program is below.

labview.png

- I have been able to connect to Experion with another OPC Client (INAT) without any issues.

- The error says I lack the privaleges, but if I follow the instructions and change these priviledges via Datasocket Server Manager, it makes no difference.

- We are trying to run this program on a Labview 2011 and Windows 7 system.

- I have tried running this same program on a WinXP computer with Labview 2009. I had to save it for previous versions, but when I run it, it comes back with a 'Generic Error', whatever that means.

Can anyone help me solve this problem and steer me in the right direction.

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,182 Views)

Greetings;

Would you happen to have started from one of the examples for this application? I do not quite recognize this code, hence why I ask.

The first thing that comes to mind is the steps in the following article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1FB1C83E5AEB04C1862574EC005D7046?OpenDocument

While you did mention checking permissions, would you happen to have done something similar to what is described therein? What instructions did you follow, exactly?

Finally, you have saved it for a previous version of LabVIEW, does it also have the same software installed beyond LabVIEW? 

Cordially;

Simon P.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,150 Views)

Yeh this program is very similar to an example.

I followed the instructions from that link, but it made no difference whatsoever.

I am fairly certain that each PC has all the extra software installed.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,119 Views)

Have any users found a remedy for this issue?

I am having the same problem.  I have a very simple network set up where I want to use DS in LabView on one computer (192.168.1.101) to read from an OPC server on another computer (192.168.1.1).  The OPC server, DCOM permissions, etc. are all correctly configured, as I can use a third party OPC client to view the server tags and values on the remote PC from my LabView PC. 

I am using the "Monitor OPC Items with DataSocket.vi" example VI, just specifying a tag from my existing remote OPC server as an initial test.  I can browse to and select the tag on the remote computer that I wish to read in LabView using the "DataSocket Select URL.vi".  However, after selecting the tag and passing the URL to the "DataSocket Open" block, I receive Error 1101.  (Same occurs if I just directly pass the URL string to the DS Open block.)

I have added "localhost", "everyhost" and "192.168.1.1" to "DefaultReaders", "DefaultWriters", and "Creators" groups in the DataSocket Server Manager.  I have stopped and re-started the DataSocket Server, and even rebooted the entire PC, but the error persists.

The specific error text is:

--

Error 1101 occurred at DataSocket Open

LabVIEW: (Hex 0x44D) Insufficient privileges to read, write, or create an item in the DataSocket Server.  Use the DataSocket Server Manager to configure these privileges.

--

It seems as though this should be an easy fix, given that the OPC server is readily readable by an OPC client.  I would appreceate any help, as would mkenneday, if they haven't already solved their issue.

Thanks,

-Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,936 Views)

Greetings BHathaway

Does the error show up when you use Front Panel DataSocket too? Have you try disabling the firewall when running your VI? (Or opening the firewall ports following this article?)

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12402/en/

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0D7B86F4B4D19A5E86256F9A006EECB1

Also, can you tell us if regular DS communication works in your computer? You can use the DS examples to test this. Having this information will allow us to help you better.

Let us know if you find a solution or if you have additional questions. 

Luis J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,909 Views)

Thank you for your response Tortu,

This error is exclusive to trying to read from an OPC server on another computer.

I have used the Front Panel DataSocket example with no issues, as well as the Basic DataSocket example, and the Use DataSocket to read items from an OPC server example (using the labview OPC server for a source, located on the same machine.)

This machine is on a private network with the other machines, so all have their firewalls fully turned off.

I can use an OPC client on the main computer to view the data from the OPC server, I simply cannot access that data from within LabView, which is my primary goal.  The DataSocket approach seemed to be the simplest, but thus far I cannot overcome this error. Perhaps another route exists though, since the OPC server is certainly accessable using OPC clients.

Thanks again for your time!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,854 Views)

Hey BHathaway,

To be doubly sure, you made the changes in the Datasocket Server Manager on the server PC, correct?

Does this same behavior replicate on other client PCs on your network?

Can you read the tags with Datasocket through LabVIEW on the server computer itself?

Regards,

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,831 Views)