From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment fonts keep changing back to default

In order for my UIs to look good on all my deployed systems (usually windows xp or 7) I change all the environmental fonts (Tools>Options>Environmental>Fonts) to Tahoma (and, of course, set the init file to use tahoma for all these fonts).  Lately I've been noticing that every once in a while I will open LabVIEW and the fonts will be changed back to their defaults.  Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have a good work around?  It is frustrating because I usually don't notice this has happened until I've finished aligning multiple elements and then realize I have to change the font and align them again.

Note: I'm developing in LabVIEW 2012 on a Windows 7 pc.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,450 Views)

Gollum,

When does the font revert back to its initial default state? Is it completely random or is it related to an update to LabVIEW or some other software change?

Regards,

Ian K.
Software Developer
Data Ahead AG
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,335 Views)

To be honest I haven't kept close track of when exactly it happens.  Also, usually I don't notice it for a while and am forced to go back to change any alignment I did since it happened (which is what frustrates me the most).  The most recent one happened after a crash though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,315 Views)

Hey Gollum,

I found what seems to be causing your issue. There is a bug in LabVIEW 2010 and later that causes custom font tokens to be overwritten when any other change occurs in the LabVIEW.ini file. The Corrective Action Request (CAR) ID Number is 256978. The issue was fixed in LabVIEW 2013 (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14541/en/).

Regards,

Ian K.
Software Developer
Data Ahead AG
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,231 Views)

Will this be fixed in any update to 2012?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,215 Views)

@Gollum wrote:

Will this be fixed in any update to 2012?

not likely.  The impact would not invalidate results or cause incorrect results hence, a purely cosmetic issue (and one that only occurs in the development environment when default settings are overridden.)  So, it is not going to affect your end product just the amount of hair on your head.

Your Service Support Plan should allow upgrade. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,201 Views)

You don't have to even change anything in the Tools/Options panel for it to revert back to the default fonts. Just pull up the Options panel and click OK.  You will find that it rewrites the LabVIEW.ini file with the defaults.

This is a real pain.  It is indeed fixed in 2013, but we have 100 machines to update to fix this.

Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,983 Views)

This is why I'm really disappointed that NI hasn't adopted any sort of long term support releases.  Having to upgrade to a new version, with all of the associated headaches, just to get some bug fixes..... sigh....

Message 8 of 8
(2,968 Views)