LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering FPGA bitfile from an Executable

I am trying to use an fpga vi with its own front panel within an executable. I have found the open FPGA VI reference however when ever it runs the front panel of the fpga vi does not open. My code is entirely reliant on this front panel and I cannot get it to open. I also get an error message saying A connection could not be established to the specified remote device however I have copy and pasted the address from the RIO device setup I/O line. I am not sure what else I could make the resource name say to allow it to work. My end goal is to use the exe file from a laptop that does not have LabView installed on it. Hopefully this is doable. It seems the FPGA VI reference is not working as I hoped it would. Just as background. The entire code is wrote within the the fpga vi I made and I placed the front panel items on that vi. Any tips would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,107 Views)

This is doable but it is hard to understand what you are missing.

Does this work as code?  As an EXE I am not sure if you can see the FPGA VI's front panel.

Has the FPGA VI been compiled?  If so, the application builder will include the bitfile when building it automatically.

Otherwise I suggest trying this with a shipping example of your hardware.  Make an EXE and see how it all works.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,087 Views)

Are you suggesting I should take all of the front panel items I needed and move them all over to the host front panel? The fpga vi works on its own as a bitfile loaded on my cRIO. I added all sorts of front panel controls that I will need to use with this code. I was just hoping I'd have control of these while running without Labview on the exe. The issue I am trying to solve was getting that fpga vi front panel to open when I run the exe. I am seeing it have that error whenever I try to run the vi without the exe made which is worrisome. I see that I have a Read/Write control but I am not sure how to use it from a standpoint of passing boolean and integer values either.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,082 Views)

cRIO has multiple levels.  Host (Windows), RT, and FPGA.  Each has its own VI.  See https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/compactrio/compactrio-developers-guide.html for more info and best practices.  When running, you are only interacting with the Host VI.  The RT and FPGA are not showing.  I do not work with cRIO all the time so I'd defer to the linked doc.

The controls should be managed from the host VI.

This is achievable without LabVIEW.  I do not think the FPGA VI front panel will open up as you say it could.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Message 4 of 5
(2,065 Views)

That was an easy fix thank you. I was not sure if that front panel could open or not which was where I was stuck. Once I added all the front panel items to the main vi I was able to select which read/write function each trace corresponded to. I assumed I had to remove all the front panel items from the fpga vi however I needed to leave those in because I am assuming it just uses the block diagram with the same named items within the bitfile.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,055 Views)