LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Shared Variables & Data Binding not working in dynamically called VI

Hi,

I have just upgraded a system from LabVIEW 2011 to 2012 DS2.  I have a real-time PXI system running several shared variables, hosted on the PXI.

After what appeared to be a succesful upgrade I have a couple of odd issues. 

1.  The PXI writes test data into a network shared variable, based on a typedef of an array of custom clusters.  The variable is disconnected from the typedef, as RT does not function with shared variables linked to typedefs.  It seems that writing a seingle entry to the array is fine, but writing multiple entries causes the variable to appear empty. 

I still need to debug this a little more, as while I was station to do so this other issue popped up.

2.  I have some controls on the Host app with data binding to shared variables.  The host app uses three VIs dynamically called into the wrapper VI.  One of these called VIs is not able to connect to its variable when inserted in to the wrapper, but it can if run independently.  The other two have no such trouble.  Where I see a problem, the indication LED is grey and the mouse-over text reads "no status".  What does this mean?

Any clues?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,603 Views)

I have changed the Invoke Node to a Run Asynchronous node, and this seems to have fixed the data binding issue. 

The other issue may be related to a bug fixed in 2012 SP1:

368648 Network Stream operations return Error 42 when data type contains nested clusters of typedefs

I am now getting error 42 when reading a particular network shared variable.  This variable contains the results of measurements, in a data type which contains an array of nested clusters of typedefs.  When there is a single entry in the array I can read the variable fine, but when there is more than one entry in the array it does not read and I get error 42.

I have downloaded 2012 SP1, and will see if this helps. 

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,586 Views)

Hi Ian

Thanks for posting.

Did updating to SP1 resolve this issue for you?

Kind Regards

Chris | Applications Engineer NIUK
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,562 Views)

Folks,

In brief, installing LV2013 SP1 does seem to have solved the problem.  I can share complex nested data structes between RT and host now.

The actual process of installing the upgrade took me about 2 days to complete.  Due to some very obscure issue with LogosXT drivers I was advised by tech support to format the RT hard drive.  I found the supporting documentation for formatting & reinitialising an RT target to be very difficult to follow, and wasted 3 hours attempting to follow the information available.  I only managed it succesfully with live support on the phone.  Many thanks to Jamie in NI-UK support!

Anyway, the problems now appear to be resolved.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,558 Views)