From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editor Search function can consistently crash LabVIEW 16

Dear All!

I am able to consistently make the LabVIEW IDE crash like so:

• Open a reasonably well populated project
  • Press Ctrl-F and start a text search that takes at least long enough to execute the next step (e.g. include vi.lib in the search)
  • Press Ctrl-F again during the search
  • A new search window comes to the front. The Search-in-Progress window is paused.
  • Change the search parameters (e.g., switch the search scope to the currently opened vi) and start that search.
  • LabVIEW IDE crashes.

In some cases, the crash even takes down the error report server.

Tested using LabVIEW 16 (32 bit) on Windows 10

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(856 Views)

Well, if you turn the ignition key on your car when the car is already started, you're going to (eventually) ruin the starter.  So don't start another search while there's one already in progress.  That being said, maybe NI should have made it so you can't start another search when there is one already underway.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(814 Views)

@billko wrote:

Well, if you turn the ignition key on your car when the car is already started, you're going to (eventually) ruin the starter.

I would wish the use of ignition engines in my software to be well documented.

Apart from metaphors, I would, at first glance, see nothing wrong in running two read-only operations on the same data, or implicitly cancelling the previous search to run the next one. Then again, I have been prompted to save changes after committing a search. Sometimes, iterating through the results had (non-undo-able) effects on the visibility of FP elements. Not as reproducible as this button that I should not have pressed, though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(806 Views)

I guess you've exposed something that either NI was hoping that no one would notice, or they genuinely didn't see it when they tested it, so you've earned your bug hunting badge.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(796 Views)