LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editable table column ordering

Before I embark on a lengthy process of handling drag and drop events, I thought I'd ask the collective knowledge if there was an easy way to create a table in which the operator can modify the order of the columns? I want the operator to be able to reorder the columns, ideally by selecting a column header and dragging it left and right to move its position relative to its neighbours.

Thanks in advance,

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,563 Views)

In the interests of sharing, here is what I have so far (didn't take so long to code afterall).

I'd still prefer some native functionality though if anyone knows if it can be configured?

Message 2 of 7
(2,557 Views)

Slight bug fix for handling movements to last place (previously lost the entry)

Message 3 of 7
(2,553 Views)

Looks good, only missing the logic for the table data itself. See attached...

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 4 of 7
(2,550 Views)

Hi Philip,

Thanks for adding that, very useful Smiley Happy. My example was an experiment, I was looking for something that could prove I could rearrange the column headers. In my actual implementation I will instead modify an array of indices which will be used elsewhere to populate the table more completely.

I take it you know of no native way to achieve this with LabVIEW controls only?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,546 Views)

No way that I know of. I'm working on a project that is mostly database driven where I need to also sort by column and optionally edit in place.

I'm beginning to think that a commercial .NET control will be easier than trying to recreate all the functionality in LV. 

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,544 Views)

That sounds tough. For cases where I need to edit in place with limitations, I usually enforce a borderless VI to appear right over the cell when a mouse down is recognised, resized to match the cell size with only a single control in, set to fit to pane. The VI is picked from a library of VIs, each with a different type of control in it - list, string, checkbox, value etc. When you press return (etc.), the VI closes itself and passes the new data back to the table for integration. Not fun, usually a bit clumsy, but gets the job done.

A dedicated .NET control may a very good idea!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,542 Views)