LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Tags in DSC RTS 8.0

I just received our first copy of the LV 8 DSC RTS and as I'm anxious to test, how hard an update to LV 8 will be for us, I installed it.

The most important question I currently have, is: where is the tag editor, or the equivalent of it?

In LV DSC 7.1 DSC RTS is a tag editor where I did define which database to log to and what to log to the database. Can I do this in LV 8 DSC RTS  as well? What program do I have to use? Actually the install of the LV DSC 8.0 RTS didn't add any entries to the start menu as well (on a Win2K machine).

So do I have to recompile my application everytime if I want to:
  1. change the database the data is logged to?
  2. change the scaling of logged data?
  3. change deadband, timing settings, etc.?
With the old Tag Engie I could edit all these things in the Tag Editor without ever recompiling my applications!

Currently I have the impression, that using DSC has got much more complicated... Smiley Sad

Best regards,
    Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,506 Views)

At this time, you have 3 options depending on exactly what you want to accomplish.

1.  If the process is already loaded into the engine and you want to change the running configuration, but not the on-disk configuration, use the Variable Manager (Tools >> Shared Variable >> Variable Manager.)

2.  If you want to change the on-disk configuration and have access to the development system, modify the library containing your process and copy only new library file to your target.

3.  If you want to change the on-disk configuration and either do not have access to the development system or do not want to access the development system, you will have to make use of the available property/method nodes to change the file.

Regards,
Robert
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,500 Views)
Does that really mean, there's no global GUI available in the DSC RTS anylonger where I can change logging conditions, etc.?

The workflow I want to use (as I do in 7.1), is:
  1. Create a database.
  2. Create a configuration of fieldpoint channels to be stored in database (with scaling, deadband, etc.).
  3. Attach the configuration to the database.
  4. Use a LV program to show some of the values (or not).
In LV DSC RTS 7.1 I just used the included Tag Engine Editor to define the database and all the logging parameters without the need to write a dedicated LV program. As we have a defined naming scheme for our data, I could easily attach datasocket URLs to GUI elements programatically (I used the elements names and then tested on initialization if a tag with that name exists or not).

If there's is no tool in LV 8 DSC RTS like the tag engine editor were I can define how to log data to a database without creating any LV program at all any more, LV DSC 8 won't be usable for us (and with that unfortunately LV 8!).

As I see I could create something like the tag engine editor using LV 8 DSC development system maybe, but neither do we have the man power, nor am I willing to do so, considering that I pay an update fee to do this work... 😞

So long,
    Carsten

PS: yes, testing LV 8 DSC RTS left me in a bad mood...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,493 Views)

Hello,

I can confirm this failure. It is not possible to setup your DSC environment only with DSC-Runtime-System 8.0.

I try to setup DSC-Configuration for my target application inside the Labview-Development-System.

I'm also very angry about that. It is unbelievable.

Best wishes.

Georg2

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,365 Views)