From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duty cycle control of SSR

Hi All,

I have a closed loop system with PID function which controls a heating element, this code works correctly. I now have to get theoretical values for PID using an ziegler nichols open loop. I am controlling the elements 220VAC supply via an SSR, i now need to create a square wave where i can adjust the duty cycle between 0-100%, i should then be able to relate 100% to 220VAC and so on. I need this control so i do not burn out the element while still achieving a step response to achieve a steady state output. I have an Arduino and a NI 6008 on which i can implement.Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,528 Views)

You need a device with a hardware timer output to generate a PWM signal that will control the relay. The USB-6008 does not have such an output; you'll need a more expensive DAQ device such as the USB-6210 which supports pulse generation. I do not know if the Arduino can generate a PWM signal, you'll have to check the documentation. It is possible to generate a PWM signal in software with the 6008, but it probably will not be high enough frequency nor reliable enough to achieve the level of control you need.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,497 Views)

The Arduino can generate a PWM signal, you'll just need to double check that it has enough current to drive the SSR.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/PWM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,494 Views)

I'm not so worried about the duty cycle.  I would expect that you will fry that element pretty fast if you don't switch your SSR on the zero crossings of the line voltage you are controllingSmiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,489 Views)

Thanks fro the responses,

I managed to get it working, my adruino can handle a 40mA output and my SSR control current is 4mA. I used the generate signal function to generate a square wave, i then used a select function to output a 1 to a digital output pin on the arduino when the duty cycle is greater than 0, this provided the controllable chopped DC signal i required. When i used a Duty cycle of 30% i got a steady state response. 30% of 235VAC is 82.25VAC which i can use in my calculations for the step input.

Thanks again,

David

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,462 Views)