From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Device names create in NI Max Automatically

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi to all,

We are using 10 PXI cards and 3rd party hardwares in one of our project. It is working fine, but some time we got Error in that machine, that is  duplicate device names automatically create  in the NI Max. Once restart the PC, this error will go . But after some time again come same issue . 

Why this error come and what is the exactly solution for this error.

We using LabVIEW 2014 &  Teststand 2014 32 bit both are 32 bit and windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks & Regards

Arunkumar M

==========================================================

Note: We alsoinstalled 64 bit of LabVIEW and Teststand in same PC.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,211 Views)

I don't know what's causing it but I have a few thoughts.

I can see you've assigned aliases to all of your PXI devices as well as most other devices.  This is usually pretty helpful so you have a good description of what each thing is.  However, NI-MAX does a thing where it tries to "reserve" those aliases for that hardware address, so no matter when you plug and unplug it always assigns the same alias to the same device.  

I think something is causing your devices to change addresses so that these "reserved" aliases are now showing up as unavailable devices that aren't plugged in, and then the devices under their new addresses are showing up not tied to the previously assigned aliases.

Does this happen while you're using your hardware?  Or is it something that only happens when it's been idle for a while?  Or can it happen at any time, not related to when you're using it?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,187 Views)

Following the topic. We have the same issue with our system. According to my observations this happens when you restart the computer and the chassis (using a chassis without controller). We also have aliases for all PXI devices.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,146 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author arun575

Hi , 

Now probelm solved . Actually this error came whenever PC went Sleep mode . So we changed our PC never sleep mode. After that we observed many days (more than 10 days) that error not come again. So our understanding do not set PC at sleep mode.

Thanks for your replied.

Arunkumar M

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,109 Views)

Hello,

We have a similar problem, but our computer never went to sleep. We have the same duplicate name issue.

We have two pcs of PXI-5114 and one MX1070 cards installed in PXI-1036. NI-scope 15.0 installed on Windows 7 64bit.

We don't have any problems under Windows 7 32bit. 

Thank You,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,595 Views)

I just experienced what appears to be the same duplication of devices in NI-MAX issue.  My computer did not go to sleep.  Everything was working fine yesterday, but when I went to execute my code today, I received a bunch of errors.  It looks like most, but not all, of my PXI cards have been duplicated.  I'm going to go in and try to clean everything up in NI-MAX, but why would this have happened?  Very frustrating.Annotation.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,393 Views)

We are experiencing the same issue. Were you able to resolve this?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,286 Views)

I tried a simple reboot of the PC, but it didn't resolve.  Rebooting both the PC and PXI chassis made the duplicates go away though.  Here's the procedure that worked for me:

1.) Power down PC

2.) Power down PXI chassis

3.) Power up PXI chassis

4.) Power up PC

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,269 Views)