LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dump data from xy graph on the hour

Hi all,

I have been cobbling together the attached vi in order to track power consumption of some instruments (replaced by the RNG in the attached) that plot 2 values in real time on the same graph. I would like to run this vi indefinitely so the use can be tracked by eye (which works fine here) but I also need the data to save at regular intervals. I can right-click the graph and copy to excel no problems but I need this done automatically, ideally every hour and create a spreadsheet with 3 columns, absolute time, value 1, value 2 with the file name time-stamped.

There are numerous topics on this board that have all different ways to do almost what I need, but I'm fairly new to labview so could do with some pointers making it all fit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LV-2017
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,477 Views)

Hi Potticary,

There are numerous topics on this board that have all different ways to do almost what I need, but I'm fairly new to labview so could do with some pointers making it all fit.

So you got already "numerous topics with all different ways", but you still need more "pointers to make it fit"?

What have you tried and where are you stuck?

Hint:

You already collected the samples in arrays.

All you need to do is save those arrays to a file. I recommend the WriteSpreadsheetFile function…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,462 Views)

So you got already "numerous topics with all different ways", but you still need more "pointers to make it fit"? 

I mean, I have labview and context help, so technically I already have the tools I need right? Why does anyone post?

The issue, as I said, I'm new to this and there are lots of different ways in which to write the data to a file. Most of them I end up with a text file with just one of the parameters being saved, and then it's just a single iteration or a single file when I stop the program. I was asking in the hope a practised hand could direct me towards a solution, instead of me doing anything redundant or superfluous and it taking weeks to achieve. I'm not even 100% sure on how to get the "1D array of clusters of 2 elements" into 3 columns in a spreadsheet.

So to answer your original question, yes, some pointers would be gratefully accepted but please if you feel this post to be excessively 'newbie' please feel free to ignore.

LV-2017
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,453 Views)

Hi Potticary,

I'm not even 100% sure on how to get the "1D array of clusters of 2 elements" into 3 columns in a spreadsheet.

Why do you need to work with this array of clusters when you have the "source" data available?

Simplest solution:

check.png

instead of me doing anything redundant or superfluous and it taking weeks to achieve

You would actually learn LabVIEW much better when you try on your own…

(And yes, this may take some weeks…)

Most of them I end up with a text file with just one of the parameters being saved, and then it's just a single iteration or a single file when I stop the program.

That's why I asked for those "what have you tried and where are you stuck?" things.

Just complaining "my code doesn't work as I want it to" is not enough information to tell you where you took the wrong turn…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 5
(2,449 Views)

Awesome. That is immensely helpful...and also proves my point of how clueless I actually am.

Thank you.

Also, this is likely the only time I'll need labview in the coming years. I would live to spend weeks learning the fundamentals of how to build things but with time as it is, I'm not sure I have weeks to commit.

LV-2017
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,441 Views)