LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving a Arduino Tinkerkit Braccio Robotic Arm with Labview using the Braccio servo shield

Hi Folks,

I’ve been gifted a Tinkerkit Braccio Arduino Robotic Arm. (As sold by RS Components)

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/1113738/

I’ve learnt enough Arduino to drive the arm in its native tongue but I’ve set myself the challenge of driving it with Labview.

Using the Labview Interface for Arduino toolkit I can communicate with the Arduino uno and drive the servos directly through the board.

However the original kit comes with a Braccio servo shield which I would like to utilise. The problem is I’m unsure how to incorporate and address this shield or even if it’s possible.  

I have tried the manufacture but to no avail and I was hoping someone here might here might be able to help.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,110 Views)

Hi Simon-Lee,

Unfortunately I don't have any TinkerKit module, so I cannot try this myself. However, I have some pieces of information for you that might be helpful:

1. Is there any specific reason you are using the older LabVIEW Interface for Arduino (LIFA) instead or Digilent LINX? (Both available through VI Package Manager). LINX is the successor of LIFA. Both from the same author, and the author recommends using LINX.
  2. I found a forum post of someone who successfully uses a TinkerKit temperature module, including a VI with his code. Maybe this is how you can connect to the Braccio as well?
  3. Be aware that the LabVIEW Arduino Community subforum moved to LabVIEW Makerhub. You might find an answer there as well.

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
Message 2 of 7
(3,080 Views)

Hi ikaiser,

Thanks for the reply.

There wasn’t a lot of logic to my use of the LIFA, I followed a u-tube instructional on Arduino + LV and servos that used it. Put that one down to my inexperience but I’m happy to be guided to a better solution.

I’m beginning to suspect the shield may be unique just to the one arm as I not found any reference to it anywhere else, that would also explain the complete lack of documentation to be found on the net.

I must dig deeper into the forums as that post eluded my searches, that’s my mission for tonight.

The heads up on the LabView Makerhub is much appreciated, I’ve been looking for an affordable means of developing my LabView skills and these cheap little microprocessors offer some fun projects. There is nothing like tackling real world problems to challenge (and hopefully improve) my skills.

Regards     

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,072 Views)

If you don't mind a software-only challenge every now and then, then there is a lot of inspiration for you around. E.g. search for "labview coding challenge" and you will find tons of resources like LabVIEW Digest Programming Challenge Competition with challenging problems to solve.

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,065 Views)

Hi,

Did you ever manage to get this up and running?

And can you share some information on how you did?

Sitting with the exact same problem right now.

/X_DOT

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,633 Views)

Hi X,

I’m afraid I didn’t make any additional progress with this. Life and other projects have pushed it to the back of my to do list but please do let me know if you get it to work.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,608 Views)

Still no progress? :)))))

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(713 Views)