cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading NI System Configuration

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I need to downgrade the sys config version on my PC to work with the version on a PXI (due to an issue between 17.5 on windows and 17.0 and older on RT (see here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019RN9SAM&l=en-US).

When I check the sys config items in NI package manager to remove them, the dependencies it wants to also remove sum up to just about EVERYTHING (DAQmx, IMAQdx, all versions of LabVIEW, compactRIO, VISA, Serial, etc.). 

Do you know why this is and how I can avoid it? I don't even think you have to install sys config when you install all those other things, so why is it required that I uninstall them??

Thanks in advance,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,498 Views)

My first question: why can't you just upgrade the version of System Configuration that is installed on the RT target so there isn't a mismatch? That would be a lot simpler than downgrading the version on the host PC.

What version is installed on your RT target? It looks like you have 19.5 installed on the host, not 17.5, so are you sure that the bug listed in that KB applies?

There's a valid reason that NIPM is trying to uninstall all those drivers. Every NI driver installs some components of the NI System Configuration driver. When you install and then try to uninstall the entire NI System Configuration driver, it's also going to uninstall all those components that the other drivers depend on.

Message 2 of 4
(1,451 Views)

Hi elcalverado,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this. I was trying to keep the SW on the target the same (16.0) for the end user. It's been validated with it's current versions, so I'd prefer not to change it. Otherwise, I definitely would have just upgraded everything. 

NIPM shows that the "NI System Configuration Runtime for LabVIEW Real-Time" is version 17.5 and the "NI System Configuration 16.0.0 for Real-Time" is confusing to see there too... But I did try upgrading the SW versions on the target and the problem was fixed, so I'm pretty sure it's the SW versions that are the issue. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,426 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author michael.lambert

Ended up uninstalling everything it asked me to and reinstalling LV 2016 and all the drivers... It works fine now. Would recommend doing that just to avoid any other funny issues popping up. 

If you have the option to upgrade everything instead, go for that. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,374 Views)