LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Use Multiline Strings

I've been working with NI support on a very large app that I have which, when editing, causes LV to crash a lot.

Recently they told me this:

"It seems like there could be a problem with the usage of the mix of Unicode & ASCII characters for some boolean controls on your side. Using the '^' arrow up part of the Unicode characters and particularly using two lines in the button easily runs into memory corruption.

we can avoid this issue for the moment by using just one line for the boolean text instead of using multiple lines of text for control and probably for other objects like string controls and potentially even labels."

Has anyone else run into the issue of multiline strings causing LabVIEW to crash?

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(757 Views)

I've found that pasting strings containing Unicode into block diagram comments can cause problems (for instance, if I have a PDF manual for a device and copy-paste it into a comment for reference).  The initial paste will work, but subsequent manipulation of the VI will often crash the dev environment.

Not sure if this is related to control labels, but the comments are definitely more than one line when this happens.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(715 Views)

In which LV Version are you experiencing this?

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(705 Views)

@daveTW wrote:

In which LV Version are you experiencing this?

2019, 2020, 2021

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(680 Views)