From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does LabVIEW support the SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)?

I looked at LabVIEW 2014 online help for some info on SNMP.

A problem was posted in 1996 and updated in 2008.

Does LabVIEW Support the SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4CD3625A939A77DE852564050047D3BD

This was addressed to LabVIEW version 4.

What version are we up to now?

Version 14?

One solution offered was to get the SNMP VI from Viodia.

Why should I have to spend another $1,000 for a VI from Viodia after spending $5,000 for LabVIEW Professional?

Come on National Instruments, offer up SNMP to go with your professional package.

There seems to be a lot of chatter about SNMP on the forums.

I’m sure a lot of customers would be happy to have an official LabVIEW VI for SNMP.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,440 Views)

There is a free SNMP toolkit updated for LV2012 but I cannot remember where I found it. 

I will look for the zip file I downloaded and post it if I can find it

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,423 Views)

Check this thread on the LAVA board

https://lavag.org/topic/9682-help-for-useing-snmp-in-labview/?p=80714

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 6
(7,416 Views)
There's actually been relatively few requests for SNMP. I've used the Viodia package and the cost is worth it. How many hours of development does it actually represent? If you want an Ni toolkit, post to the Idea Exchange and see how much support it gets.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,397 Views)

For what it's worth, there's a lot more interest in FPGA development and NI charges another $2600 for that toolkit.  It's a bit unreasonable to expect the software package to include every possible thing, especially something with minimal "chatter."  The primary purpose of LabVIEW, like any other language, is to give you a programming environment where you can put together your application.  Its purpose is not to write the application for you. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,377 Views)

I find it unreasonable to expect that LabVIEW supports out of the box every network protocol that has ever been invented under the sun. You may find SNMP to be the most important protocol on the world but for most programmers it is a niche protocol that they may have heard of but never will happen to come across in their applications. It's in fact pretty low level for a very specific purpose of managing network connected resources.

On the other hand it is not rocket science either so can be implemented by someone with enough determination on top of the native network interface functions in LabVIEW. Is it a lot of work? Yes, you bet! Is it worth 1000 bucks! If you really need it and your own work hours cost anything more than a few cents per hour, most probably too! If you can live with an implementation that is supporting many but not all features of SNMP, the link on LAVAG is a very good and nice one.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 6
(7,304 Views)