Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing label oddity

When I create a Typed Def from this constant:

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 8.54.45.png

here is what my constant looks like after the process:

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 8.55.08.png

Where are the labels gone?

Note: they are actually hidden, as proven by the fact that if I double-click the new typed def constant (to change it into an icon) and then double-click it again (to revert it back to a expanded version), I get this:

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 8.57.38.png

Tested in LV 2013 SP1 64 bits

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,657 Views)

I've never thought of it as strange; I've always thought it was convenient.  You can always use context help to see what's inside.  Just goes to show you that there are as many opinions as there are people.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,650 Views)

What about "resize to fit"? It is not applied after the labels are cleaned up.

Just shows that not everyone has the same understanding of what consistent rules mean...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,636 Views)

@X. wrote:

What about "resize to fit"? It is not applied after the labels are cleaned up.

Just shows that not everyone has the same understanding of what consistent rules mean...

What about adding new information in your last post?  Just goes to show not everyone remembers to put all the pertinent info into their first post before offering up a witty remark.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,622 Views)

Not sure what you are saying, but I was expressing my puzzlement regarding the behavior of the IDE (which I did not discover today, just bothered to post about it only now).

Here's the starting point (plus bonus) for everyone to play with:

Typed Def Constant Label Oddity.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,602 Views)

@X. wrote:

Not sure what you are saying, but I was expressing my puzzlement regarding the behavior of the IDE (which I did not discover today, just bothered to post about it only now).

Here's the starting point (plus bonus) for everyone to play with:

Typed Def Constant Label Oddity.png

Haha so you were talking about National Instruments not being consistent.  It sounded like you were saying that I had no idea what consistency meant.

I could've sworn that the auto-resize after typedef'ing worked for me in LV 2013.  I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,586 Views)

It behaves EXACTLY as you described it!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,573 Views)

So does it in LV 2014.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,529 Views)

Hi X,

If you go to the Tools menu >> Options…>> Block Diagram and also Enviroment, make sure to check the boxes that allow you to see labels by default (see screenshots). It looks like it is simply hiding them and not getting rid of them. Please give this a try a let me know if it works.

Regards,

Kruiz17

image1.png           image2.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,518 Views)

@Kruiz17: I did change the options to what you show and things are getting worse.

Let me explain.

I launched LV just to check this stuff (clean start).

Opened my demo VI (see snipet above) and went right to the options.

Changed things as advised (my settings, which I had lived happily with so far, were slightly different).

Then went to the left cluster and tried to Type Def it.

First surprise, LV asked me to save the changes to the control...

???

I first declined, blaming it on some local space-time warping fluke and tried again.

Same dialog!

OK... So I save the "control" and take a look at my diagram cluster constant: it is still not a typed def!

Of course things behave exactly the same way with the cluster to the right.

Now you have some explaining to do...

EDIT: when I reverted to my original options settings, then the cluster typed def process went again as I described above.

So apparently, when I change the environment options, things get totally bezerk (at least from my point of view)?!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,506 Views)