From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Monitoring of Remote Panels

This is going to seem like quite a bizarre question, but I'm trying to learn some rather advanced (Well I think they're advanced anyway LOL) uses of labview so that I can help make some programs to be used with an educational class. I've learned how to make a remote panel and how to access it from other computers, but there's one slight problem. See, the .vis I'm making are parts of assignments that the students will need to complete. So, odd as it may seem, I'm trying to find a way to make a remote panel ((aka an embedded vi on a webpage)) be controllable remotely, but at the same time I don't want other students to be able to essentially look over someone's shoulder and just watch as the other person completes the assignment. I searc
hed all of the menus I could find, but was unable to find an option dealing with this. Did I miss something or is there a programmable solution to this problem?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,319 Views)
Kura,
I am not sure I understand your request. If you don't want several students to view the same remote panel simultaneously, you should use one remote panel license. That way, only one computer at a time can access remotely the VI.
If you do want to allow multiple students to view and control the VI remotely, then please explain what you would like to see happen to prevent students looking over someone's shoulder?

Zvezdana S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,319 Views)
I want only one person at a time to be able to control it, and its fine for people to see the panel's image, but I'd prefer for them to not be able to see what the other students are doing with the panel. Currently only one person can control the panel remotely, but everyone that's waiting in line can see exactly what they're doing.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,319 Views)
> I want only one person at a time to be able to control it, and its
> fine for people to see the panel's image, but I'd prefer for them to
> not be able to see what the other students are doing with the panel.
> Currently only one person can control the panel remotely, but everyone
> that's waiting in line can see exactly what they're doing.

There is a utility for monitoring connections, and you can deny or close
down connections for any reason, typically it will be for timeouts. But
you could monitor and deny their access until the current user is
finished. Or, it might be alot better to do this in the HTML pages
leading up to the remote panel. They request control, and if someone
else has it, they get a denied page where you sh
ow them whatever you
like, such as instructions for preparing the experiment. Then when the
current user releases control, it can be given to the next in line. To
do this, you could use CGI in LV, Perl, etc.

Greg McKaskle
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,319 Views)