From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital I/O Error on different computers

Hello,

I have developed a simple application that runs a digital input and output in parallel every minute. Every 60 seconds, the main VI calls a subVI that executes this digital i/o.

I developed it on my desktop using LabVIEW 2018 and a USB 6353 X series.On this desktop it runs smoothly and without any faults.

However, this application is meant to run on a laptop as part of a test bench. When I tried to run it on the laptop, also using LabVIEW 2018, I get error -201025, generated in a timing property node there is in the code. When I disable this property node, I get an error mentioning a trigger fault, although I am not using any trigger functions or VIs in the code.

Because of this strange errors (not related to the VIs in use) and because the same application runs well on another machine with the same hardware and (almost certainly) the same software, I suspect there might be some kind of compatibility issue I do not understand.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Every piece of advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,935 Views)

Hi gonzalof,

I developed it on my desktop using LabVIEW 2018 and a USB 6353 X series.

I get error -201025,

That error says "the hardware doesn't support that feature"…

Does your laptop use a different DAQmx device?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,925 Views)

Hi,

No, i used the same hardware in both cases (the USB 6353 X series).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,904 Views)

What's the additional text that comes with that error code?  You can right-click the error indicator and pick "Explain Error" to get more human-readable info.  Also which task generates it, DO or DI?

Searching here, most discussions of that error code relate to invalid attempts to run a buffered output task.  One particular possible problem would be if the 'samples per channel' input to DAQmx Timing were accidentally set to 0 when running on the laptop.

Other items of note for the future:

- in your DAQ task code, chain together all the error outs to the next error in.  The code in 'Error 2.png' does this reasonably.   'Error 1.png' does not.

- some of the things associated with the DO task are labeled as "Input" while some things associated with the DI task are labeled "Output".  This doesn't help anyone, including future you.  Clean this up.

- your DO and DI tasks are not synced.  DI starts first and may take some samples before DO starts generating.  It will also stop taking samples before DO ends (assuming the same # samples for both tasks).   It's possible this is ok for your application, but it's more likely that you would like the tasks to be synced.  Search for terms like DO DI sync.  Or even AO AI sync, the same lessons are applicable.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,896 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

Error -201025 says:

Non-buffered hardware-timed operations are not supported for this device and Channel Type.

Set the Buffer Size to greater than 0, do not configure Sample Clock timing, or set Sample Timing Type to On Demand.

The error is generated in the DO task, at the Timing Property Node. Samples are set to a positive number, it is not changed between the laptop or desktop versions. I insist, it is really the same file and the same DAQmx device used with the desktop and the laptop, and it works on the desktop but it does not on the laptop.

About the general comments: error handling in this example is not good, apologies on that side. This application has been done by two people with different coding ''styles''. Same happens with the misleading input/output labels, I should have cleaned that up. Concerning synchronization, it is not needed in this example.

Thank you,

Gonzalo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,884 Views)

That error sure *sounds* like it thinks you've asked for 0 samples per channel at the call to DAQmx Timing.

Have you connected up your error wires yet?  Are you running the exact same code *for sure* such as from a thumbdrive or something that can move from the desktop to the laptop?  Can you post the actual code instead of screenshots?   More people will be able to open the code if you choose File-->Save for Previous Version and go back to maybe LV 2013 or 2014.   

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,870 Views)