LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty getting Sound input configure and sound input to read more than 2 channels

Solved!
Go to solution

I need multichannel audio input for my project. I can't seem to read more than 2 channels of my audio interface.

The interface Im using is an Alesis Multimix8 USB 2 mixer and and audio interface. This supports 10 channels in and 2 out. With other software I can read all input channels simultaneously without any difficulty. When I specify the sound input configure and sound input read, to read more than 2 channels any extra channel is a blank signal. Im using Labview 8.5 here.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,111 Views)

Induvidual channel has to be configured independently,

say if you have 2 devices then device id will be 0&1,

or if in that ten channels if you consider as stereo, then you will get 5 recordings. Channel 1&2 will act as 1 stereo in this case you need to have 5 config VI's.

If you are going for mono recording then you have to use 10 config VI's.

If you have only one VI which can be used as re-entrant then it makes even simpler.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,106 Views)

I only have a single audio device, if I specify device ID as any number other then 0 I get a "selected device is invalid"?

Heres my block diagram for 3 mono channels:

MultichannelAudioQ.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,104 Views)

This wont work if you are trying to read from different channels. You are trying to read data from one device ID 3 times, the data may be correct.

Do one thing, select the express VI named Acquire sound, The device ID there is drop down box, You can select induvidual devices, and you will come to know how many devices you have in your system. Try this, you need to give different device ID to get output from different channels.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,102 Views)

Ive tried this. It gives a single device and only device ID is 0.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,098 Views)

Is the device ID 0 your local computer sound card or external ? Is LabVIEW detecting your device?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,094 Views)

Its an external USB sound device and labview is detecting it. I can record off it but only from the first two channels. Ive disabled local computer sound devices. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,092 Views)

Try checking Sounds and Audio properties in control panel go to Audio tab and check how many devices that your operating system is detecting, if OS is detecting 1 then

LabVIEW will do the same to, check if you have any external switches to enable all channels. I also have worked on Hammerfal sound card which supported 8 channel playing and recording and all the channels was detected in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,084 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SoundLocalizationGuy

Take a look here

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Play-waveform-express-vi-list-devices-on-front-panel/td-p/1559336

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 9 of 13
(5,076 Views)

Thanks for the replys the post linked by Coq Rouge led me to alternative sound Vis at:

http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/waveio?mid=103

It seems the inbuilt labview sound functions support no more than 2 channels, the alternative above supports more than 2 channels.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,053 Views)