From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulties calling kernel 32.dll from Call Library Function Node

I have had a nagging problem with calling kernel32.dll using the Call Library Function Node function. I have consistently had the same problem with LabView 7 & 8; using both windows NT, 2K and XP. I have to hack at connecting/disconnecting and configuring the Call Library Function Node sometimes for a day before it starts working, and I would like to understand the problem better. Invariably after a day of rewriting the portion of the VI with the CLFN function, it starts working for no apparent reason. Until it starts working, I usually get a '259' value in one of the return values. Once it starts working on a single computer, it continues to work. If I copy the working VI to a different computer, I have to start the hacking all over again until it starts working. My best guess is that there must be a problem with the resolution of a pointer, but I am desperate for any help the LV community may have out there. Sound familiar to anyone out the in LabView land? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,882 Views)

Hi Scott,

What kernel32 function are you calling, and, can you attach the VI which calls the CLF?

Cheers.

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,874 Views)

TBD-

I have had problems calling DeviceIOControl, CreateFileA, Writefile and others. I am attaching a sample of a vi calling WriteFile.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,860 Views)

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the VI - unfortunately I couldn't open it! (LV7.1 here) Smiley Sad

You migh back-save it for us cavemen, but first...

I did research WriteFile and put-together this VI in case it points-up any obvious differences from yours (which I doubt.)

A couple of suspected gotcha's are to make sure hFile is not defined as a pointer to value.  Use an array of bytes for the buffer (the prototype treats them as a char-array anyway.)  Make sure the NumberOfBytesToWrite isn't bigger than the Array-in, the effect of null-writes are file-system dependent - better to avoid it altogether.  Make sure NumberOfBytesWritten is pointer to a value (DWORD), and wire the input-side.  I hope we're not doing OverLapped writes! Smiley Wink

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,846 Views)

TBD -

Thanks for the input. No I do not use overlapped IO. My call looks the same except...

isn't the OVERLAPPED argument a LP (long pointer) ?

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,829 Views)

Hi Scott,

> isn't the OVERLAPPED argument a LP (long pointer) ?

NO! (well yes, but..) If you specify this parameter as a pointer in the CLF, LabVIEW will pass a non-null pointer value (pointing to a U32), but the DLL will expect to find an Over-lap info-structure where it points.

The way to pass a null-pointer to the DLL is to pass a U32 - by value - set to zero.  The DLL, expecting a pointer, will interpret the U32 (set to zero) as a null-pointer - which is what you want. Smiley Wink

This will be true anywhere a Null-pointer needs to be passed.

Hope it helps! 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,822 Views)