LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detection of PXIe chassis (and the cards in it) without controller through bridging with PCIe - LabVIEW RT

Hi,

I want to build soon a system with LabVIEW RT. For that I will have my RT target setup as follows :

- Computer target connected through PCIe to my chassis (which does not have any controller). The chassis is really acting more as an extension

- Inside the chassis I will have my PXIe card

Do you think that the target PC will be able to detect the chassis AND the PXIe cards in it without any trouble ?

Or do I need to setup a target as a PXIe chassis with a controller ?

Thanks for your help,

Cyprien

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,406 Views)

There are two questions here, and I just erased the answer I gave, which was to the "wrong" question.  If you are successful in getting your PC to communicate with your PXI Chassis directly, without having a PXI Controller present, you will almost certainly not be able to run LabVIEW RT.  A key element of LabVIEW RT is that a second processor (the Controller in a PXI system) is running a Real-Time Operating System, while the Host runs Windows, definitely not an RT-OS.

So even if you were successful in getting the PXI's backplane to route its signals to a card in the PC, you would not be running a two-processor LabVIEW RT Project (which needs that second processor).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,366 Views)

Hi Bob,

I think I forgot to add something in the description of my system : I would have a host computer running Windows with LabVIEW RT module installed on it. The host computer would be linked to a RT target computer (configured following the instructions at this link : http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371857f.pdf) through Ethernet, and the RT target computer connected to the PXIe chassis with my PXIe cards in it through PCIe.

I believe I need LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for PC to transform the PC target in a LabVIEW RT target ?

Also, if I forget the RT target PC and go with a PXIe chassis target with a controller in it, do I need the LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for PXI ?

Cyprien Chauvet

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,354 Views)

LabVIEW Licensing is not my strong suit -- I'm at a University with a LabVIEW Academic Site License.  I would have thought that if you purchased LabVIEW with LabVIEW RT (or purchased a PXI system with LabVIEW RT on the Controller), that the RT license was implicitly included, but that's just me "being reasonable".  Talk to your NI contact people.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,347 Views)

Okay, will do, thank you Bob !

Cyprien Chauvet

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,345 Views)