From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed Help link in Control/Indicator Context Help?

Is it possible to add a link to a Detailed Help file to the Context Help for a control or indicator? I know that it is possible to include such a link in the VI Documentation for an entire VI, but I don't see such an option for individual controls or indicators.

I am working on documenting a UI for configuration of various test sequences; each test sequence has its own type-defined configuration cluster. I have added fairly detailed descriptions (to display in context help) for each of the individual controls in the cluster. Now, I would like to include a link to an HTML help file with a flowchart of the entire sequence, with that link showing up in the context help for the cluster and/or each of the cluster elements.

I realize that I could just put a help button next to the cluster (or add a run-time menu option, or something similar) and programmatically open the link in a browser on that event, but I would prefer to keep it all within the context help framework, if possible.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,741 Views)

Hello TurboPhil,

Unfortunately, I dont think it's possible to include that for individual controls or indicators. Your best bet is to have a help button next to the cluster and open the link programmatically.

Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,710 Views)
You could customize the context menu for the control and add your own Help as a user item.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,705 Views)

I'd like to see this feature added as well.  I'll put it in the LV suggestions...

-------------------------------------------------------------
David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,327 Views)

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top  and see if it could generate any more interest. As of LV 2015, the VI description linking has some new featuers, but still no support for linking control and indicator descriptions to external files. I think this could be really useful for providing detailed help information to end-users.

DaveT

David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,171 Views)