LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decoration On Custom Control

I made some custom controls, in the customize window simply by adding an arrow or line, ect to the button. However, if i click directly on the decoration,(which covers most of the control) it does not change the state, i have to click on the button, but not on the decoration to change the state. Any easy way to make the button change state no matter where i click on it?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,131 Views)
Is the decoration at the "Front"? In the control editor, click on decoration, click the "reorder ring" (Front Panel Tool Bar, last drop down ring on the right), and select "move to back" or try "move backward".

You may have already tried this, but I hope this will help.

Chad
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,124 Views)
I have found a few issues similar when customizing controls. When you cover a control with a decoration the decoration is infront of the control, so the control will not have focus to generate events, you can however do two things with a button, place the decoration behind the Button and make the button transparent or you can modify the pictures embedded (4 independent states pictures) associated with a button, or some combo of the two. I still find it hard to get custom controls to look exactly as I intend when I envision something complex, There is probably some art and much creative thought to getting a successful GUI element. Good luck.
-Paul
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 3 of 6
(3,119 Views)
One other thjing I didnt include is to play with transparency so items behind are not visually blocked but will still have event focus to resapond to click events.
-Paul
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,116 Views)
Another option is to "import picture". I will give an example for a Boolean. Having copied the picture to import, right click on the Boolean control and select "import picture", and then the state for which the picture will represent. "Import Picture" is only available in the control editor and the option is greyed out and disabled until a picture has been copied.

To get the picture to import...
"ALT-PrtSc", open paint, and edit paste. This will give you a screen shot of the active Windows window. Then highlight and copy the decoration portion of the picture. Using the control editor you can then import the jpeg for the state of the control.

Chad
Message 5 of 6
(3,110 Views)
Thanks guys, copying the control to paint in true state, then in false state, then importing each for a true and false case worked great. I wish it was a little easier than this but oh well. Thanks again,
Dave
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,104 Views)