LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug Application: why do the VIs on the remote PC not open?

[Labview 2012]

I have built an application with the debugging option enabled on PC1. When I install this application on another PC (PC2) and I try to take control from the PC1 using Labview 2012, I can browse through the code with no problem and open front panels but unlike what I had with Labview 8.2 the front panels only open on PC1 (the control PC) and not on the PC2 on which the excecutable runs?

Is it no more possible with Labview 2012?
Thanks

CHristpohe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30
(2,895 Views)

Hello Christophe,

Can you give me some more information about your application?

Are you using the item from your LabVIEW menu called Operate>Debug Application ?

Is it the Front Panel of the Main VI (in the debuggable application) that does not open or are it the Front Panels of the subVI's inside the application that do not open?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 30
(2,843 Views)

Hello:

Yes : Operate>Debug Application ?

Labview 2012, Windows XP on both sides.

I can connect to the main VI, I can open the subVIs and the Vis located in the dynamically called Vis but nothing opens up on the remote PC. They open correctly on the PC that takes control but not on the PC that is being controlled.

Thanks

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30
(2,822 Views)

Hello Christophe,

I just tested it here at my side and it indeed does not seem to happen over here.

Is there a specific reason why you want these subVI's also to open at the other side?

(This will help me post a CAR to the R&D colleagues)

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30
(2,805 Views)

Oh yes, there are many reasons why we need this feature. One of them is this:

We are connecting to production stations running the Labview application. When there is an issue we connect to the code remotely. The problem is that while we are connected the users cannot operate the application on their side until we disconnect. So in the past we just opened the necessary VIs or subVIs to troubleshoot the issue then disconnected the remote session so that the people could keep working with the application. And here and then we could just switch to the previously opened VIs and subVIs to check their content.

Maybe this feature is no more free and a license needs to be paid to activate it?

Thanks to get back to me with more news

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30
(2,803 Views)

Hello Christophe,

As far as I know there aren't two different behaviors depending on the used licenses.

It can be that since 8.2 they have changed the behavior of the "debug application" function.

I seem to remember that in 2010 and 2011 it was already behaving like it is now.

Did you do any tests in those versions that confirm that?

Is it ok for you if I do the necessary internal escalations?

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30
(2,785 Views)

I upgraded from Labview 8.2 straight to Labview 2012 so I cannot tell about Labview 8.5, 2010, 2011.

It is sad if this useful function has disappeared in the recent versions of Labview.

Please try to know why

Thanks in advance

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(2,781 Views)

Hello Christophe,

There were also other versions in between (8.6, 2009).

I've contacted the right people and I will let you know what I find out.

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30
(2,769 Views)

Hello all

I have not heard back from you.

I wanted to add the following that makes the problem even worse. As a matter of fact I am not able to debug my Labview 2012 applications anymore. I have attached a very simple application that fills a Global. 2 items of the Global are only initialized when the application starts. The last one (Dynamic Counter) is refreshed periodically. When I start the .exe application then open a Debug session in Labview 2012 (Debug Application or Shared Library...), if I open the Global, only the Dynamic Global is showing its true current value ! The 2 indicators of the Global that have been initialized only once when the application started show 0 (Counter initialized once) or "" (String Initialized once). Now if I open the Test_Main Vi  ----which is the VI that initialized those 2 'static' Globals when the program started--- and go into its diagram and double-click on one of those 2 'static' globals then I will see their correct values (both current values) !!!

I am completely lost and the fact that I cannot debug my applications anymore make me scared. Also I do not understand why this has not been reported by other users so maybe its a configuration issue of my Labview stations (2 differents: one Windows XP, the other one Windows 7).

It has to be noted that this problem also appears when I debug the application running on my Labview development station itself (localhost).

Thanks

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30
(2,689 Views)

Hello Christ0phe,

I remember having posted something here, but it could be that it didn't come through.

It had some attachments and I didn't probably didn't check afterwards if it was succerfully posted.

Today and tomorrow I'm giving a course, but I'll try to look into it after the course in the evening.

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30
(2,672 Views)