From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database- insert and export PDF files from an extern Server

Hey,

I want to insert PDF in my Database. I've found the possibility to do this with the BLOB File Format. Acutally my test server is an extern PC. 

I can insert files from the lokal PC by using this Query and the the execution VI from Labview:

NSERT INTO [dbo].[PDFTESt]
([PDF])
SELECT BulkColumn
FROM OPENROWSET( BULK 'C:\Users\SERVERCOMPUTER\Downloads\export_20201029-09_30_53.pdf', SINGLE_BLOB) as ExternalFile

but this do not work with the path from my own pc.

is there a way to insert Files from extern PC.

In the future  different user should be able to insert PDFs into the database. 

And it should  be possible download the files .

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,603 Views)

This is not a LabVIEW problem. If I correctly understood, you are submitting the query from the Client PC but the file path must be valid on the Server. Correct?

If the query must refer to a file local to the Server, I can see basically two options:

1) move the file to the server some way (e.g. by means of a FTP server or a read-write shared folder) and then insert it

2) setup a shared folder on the Client, let's suppose 'Shared_files', which could be read-only : '\\MYOWNPCNAME\Shared_files\export_20201029-09_30_53.pdf'

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,577 Views)

ok, but the other question:

I can save the PDF File into the Database as a varbinary File.

I am able to load the varbinary file with the "SELECT" Query. How can I transport this file into a PDF on the ClientPC ot just show the PDF on screen? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,569 Views)

I never worked with BLOB format fields. Are you able to get the BLOB binary content into a LabVIEW string?

If yes, the obvious suggestion is to store this string into a newly created file, name it as .pdf and possibly open it by means of the windows shell.

Paolo
-------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,553 Views)

how can i save the string as a new file ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,549 Views)

Use Write to Binary File in the File I/O palette, wiring your string to the Data input. Wire False to prepend array or string size? (T).

Paolo
-------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,536 Views)

If i try to insert the binary file i get theis error:

ADO Error: 0x80040E14
Exception occured in Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Implicit conversion from data type varchar to varbinary(max) is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to run this query. in NI_Database_API.lvlib:Rec Create - Command.vi->NI_Database_API.lvlib:Cmd Execute.vi->NI_Database_API.lvlib:DB Tools Insert Data.vi->writebinarytodb.vi

wich convert function should I use for this?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,504 Views)

On your first post you said you were able to insert. Did you change something?

Can you show your code?

Paolo
-------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,495 Views)

i use this VI the problem is the conversion into a varbinary. if I try it with the CONVERT function i get a syntax error. 

and i cant copy the converted data into my DBMS and try it there. Does anyone have expierences with this?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,371 Views)

Hello. Convert binary to base64.

Save it to varchar field. The lenght of varchar need to be >= lenght of encoded string.

Regards,

Manuel

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,244 Views)