From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Open Error -2147467259

Solved!
Go to solution

Another database error on open.  I have an mdb file that I suspect is made from an old version of Microsoft Access, but am unsure the version.  I have Access 2013 installed and when I try to open it I get an error:

"Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application."

But despite Access not being able to open it I was hoping LabVIEW could since I can specify with the connection string how to open it.  Even so trying to get Access to open it is a pain since I don't seem to have any conversion tools available, and everything online doesn't appear to help.

But back to LabVIEW a bit, I try to open it with a few connection strings:

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=%s;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=%s;

Results in: "Exception occured in Microsoft Access Database Engine: Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application."

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=%s;Database Password=%s;

Results in: "Exception occured in Microsoft Access Database Engine: Could not find installable ISAM."

But honestly these connection strings are still a mystery to me.  Any help or suggestions in how to open this database without an error is appreciated.

Windows 7 x64, LabVIEW 2015 SP1 32-bit, Office 32-bit.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(28,997 Views)

If it was made by an older version of access, then maybe you need to use a jet driver for that. 
Look for a connection string here: 

https://www.connectionstrings.com/microsoft-jet-ole-db-4-0/

The problem you have right now, is that you are using the same driver as Access is using. 

Access is "just" a front end GUI for jet databases. 

Or maybe a ODBC driver for Access

https://www.connectionstrings.com/microsoft-access-odbc-driver/ 

Message 2 of 6
(28,973 Views)

Couple things to remember when using connection strings:

For 64 bit machines, when setting up a DSN, you should use the ODBC tool in the following location:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

I think the default shortcut in the start menu points to a different EXE and doesn't work properly.  Try the above exe and see if it works.  Your error is specific to the version of Access so this probably won't make a difference but it is certainly something to keep in mind if you are having issues. 

An easy way to create connection strings is to create a txt file on your desktop and rename it with a UDL extension.  Double click the file and configure your connection using the correct ODBC driver.  After you get a successful tested connection, open the UDL file in a text editor and it will give you a connection string. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 3 of 6
(28,949 Views)

With the provided connection string (adding password) I have this:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=%s;Extended Properties=Paradox 5.x;Database Password=%s

And the response is still error: "Exception occured in Microsoft JET Database Engine: Could not find installable ISAM."

Still very useful site.  And very useful suggestion of the connection string as a text file.  That being said I was able to track down an older PC with Access 2010 and convert the database made in Access 97 to something newer that the previously non-working connection string works with.

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=%s;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=%s;

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(28,946 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hooovahh

Have you checked that the jet engine is installed? 

Also for the Access 97 db, the string should be something like: 

"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\mydatabase.mdb;
Jet OLEDB:Database Password
=MyDbPassword;"

In the ODBC tool you should be able to see what is installed for database providers.

Message 5 of 6
(28,930 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(28,927 Views)