From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataSocket & Java Applet

Is it possible to program a java applet to access information from instruments using DataSocket? Is there an API? There is an API announced on this website:
http://flagpole.mit.edu/applets/DataSocket/DS-HOWTO.html
It says it's a Beta but I cannot acces the link that redirect on NI's Website
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,981 Views)
Hi GGingras,

National Instruments used to provide and support a product known as DataSocket JavaBean. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued. So, DataSocket is not much of an option. There are a few other ways, however, that you can take to gain access to instruments.

One way would be to create a Remote Panel, which does not need a java applet. Here is a link to a tutorial on how to create one.

If you must use Java, you could export your LabVIEW VIs into a DLL using Application Builder, and then use the JNI (Java Native Interface) to talk to this DLL. Here is a link that may provide some more information on how to do this.

Lastly, you can communicate over TCP/IP. You can write a server using TCP/IP primitives and have the java applet connect to it and exchange data via TCP or UDP.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information. Happy Coding!

Jeremy L.
National Instruments
Jeremy L.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,979 Views)

hi,

at present, i had done an example to finish communication between java and labview, that is to say,we can call the function proteptypes in labview from java classes, it is a good try.If some person is doing this or want to co-operate with me in doing it, please send email to me:

lyy_csu@hotmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,760 Views)