LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data transfer between two applications

I would like to ask my idea.

There is a well-organized applicaton in the update rate of 1 sec for measurement and calculation in our system.
One more instrument will be added to control the operation but I don't want to change the application so much.
In order to control the system, I need to make the independent application by reading "current" values of 3-4 DBL variables from the existed application and monitoring the change of variables in every 0.3-0.5 sec.

It is "not" neccessary to transfer some data from the new to the existed application.

Two applications will be executed in the "same" PC.

In this case, maybe I can use VI Server to read the variables (no change of existed application) or shared variable (minor change) between two application.

My question is which method is the best for my purpose or other best way? (memory or performance)

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(968 Views)

Your description makes no sense. You say that your current application is taking data with an update rate of 1 s. You want a new application to get data from the old application that monitors for changes that happen every 0.3-0.5 s. How do you expect to do that? 

Outside of that the changes that you are proposing sound minor. Why not just update the existing program? If you're worried about timing just send the data to another loop via a queue.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(935 Views)

The application is to test the system with new attached instrument temporarily in my side.

The time peroid in a new application is to wait for the target value in the system without missing data. 

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(925 Views)

@labmaster wrote:

The application is to test the system with new attached instrument temporarily in my side.

The time peroid in a new application is to wait for the target value in the system without missing data. 

labmaster.

This seems way more complex to me than just adding the instrument to the existing code. You can use source control to revert to the current version once the temporarily added instrument is removed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(920 Views)