From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data acquisition using oscilloscope

Hi,

I have available a NI-6351 with maximum sample rate 1.25 MS/s and an oscilloscope Lecroy WaveJet 354 with maximum sample rate 2GS/s. Is it possible to use the oscilloscope together with my LV code for data acquisition and take advantage of that much higher speed? Any hints are welcome.

KR,

Michail

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,113 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,103 Views)

I did try it. At the moment I just managed to link the oscilloscope with my PC through a USB port. I will try to explain, as briefly as possible, what I am trying to achieve.

The oscilloscope has a trigger function based on the acquired signal from one of the four available channels. When this trigger is exceeded, a capture of all the signals shown on the screen is taken. Each capture can be saved as an image (png, tiff, etc.) and as csv/ txt file. Depending on the sample rate and data points set-up, there is a specific available space for captures (buffer). For example, when the sample rate is 1GS/s and 10k points (time div 1μs) the buffer size is 512. It is extremely time demanding to save all these captures one-by-one. Also, I want to record and save everything even when the trigger is not exceeded. Is such an option possible with oscilloscope/LV code combination? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,092 Views)

Unfortunately, oscilloscopes are not set up to do what you are asking for.  Even with autotriggering, you can only grab a full trace at a time; it does not stream data to you.  What sample rate do you really need?  There might be a DAQ out there that can go fast enough.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(4,045 Views)

I need at least 1GS/s. Oscilloscopes that I have currently available can reach that kind of speeds but since basic operating is based on triggers it is impossible to get what I describe. DAQ cards of that speed levels are quite expensive and lack of bit resolution.

I used a Teledyne Lecroy HDO6000 series and I managed to connect to it though TCP/IP. I built a simple LV code through which I am able to acquire the waveform I need. The code looks like the one below,

image.png

I use a concatenating tunnel so in Waveform Graph 2 I get the entire recordings. If I was able to store the relative time for every waveform I receive, I would be able with some post-processing to built the entire signal. For example, my oscilloscope receive the very first trigger, let's say, at 0s and I get a waveform which has a total duration of 10μs. After 100μs I have a second trigger which also returns a second 10μs waveform. In my Waveform Graph 2 I will see a recording that has a 20μs total duration. The ideal recording would be

10μs (first trigger) + (100-10)μs (time until second trigger) + 10μs (second trigger) = 110μS

Are there any ideas how can I record the trigger relative time? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,013 Views)